Has there ever been a singer that sounded more frantic than RMS Hreidmarr in Anorexia Nervosa?

Doctrr

New Metal Member
Feb 10, 2017
So as far as I know this is the first singer that sounds like he's actually being ripped apart and IMO that ability is a huge part of Anorexia making every other band ever sounding like a watered-down version of... I don't know, Bee Gees or something. Recently while refreshing "Drudenhaus" and "New Obscurantis Order" I realized that after all those years I still haven't heard anyone come close to RMS in that relentless fierceness or whatever you want to call it. I presume there are people on this forum that are far more competent than myself in the matter so I ask these kind people to perhaps educate me if I'm wrong about RMS' far superior abilities. In other words, can anyone name a singer that's close or maybe even surpasses RMS in terms of that 110% fierceness?

Agreed, but does it get more frantic than that? I suppose there is that one album with the pterodactyl-shrieks that was posted in a similar thread a few years ago.

EDIT: Found it
so I'm listening to the Fleurety demoes, and holy crap. No wonder their singer's vocal cords were permanently damaged

You are kidding, right? The above sound like a bunch of mentally challenged guinea pigs being born. Here's what you're competing with:

The screaming in this track (other tracks on the album as well) is among the most tortured ive ever heard, even if it is slightly downmixed:

Devin Townsend at his most maniacal is pretty devastating as well:

Dark Tribe also:

The screaming in this track (other tracks on the album as well) is among the most tortured ive ever heard, even if it is slightly downmixed:

Devin Townsend at his most maniacal is pretty devastating as well:

Dark Tribe also:

Agreed about Devin having those types of moments but to me it seems like RMS is going balls to the wall the majority of the time he's singing.

Good point on Anaal but I guess I'd still give the edge to RMS because Nathrakh is occasionally applying studio effects to vocal tracks which is making the final product a bit less genuine / not as "technically" impressive. But that's just nitpicking, "Forging Towards The Sunset" is one of my all time favs and I agree about that singer sounding like he's going absolutely bananas.

I wasn't familiar with Dark Tribe before and even though they sound like a washing machine and a jackhammer having an argument I have to say what that guy does with his voice is indeed very striking and unique. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
:lol: you're not wrong

AN are entry level flowery faggoth shit for HammuborgirBoy fans but i actually do rly like the part where he yells in that first track, around 4minsish

If writing proper melodies, using orchestrations which contribute to the overall potency/ferocity while not sounding like a bunch of chimpanzees punishing garden furniture is considered an expression of faggotry - sign me up for a pair of assless chaps ;) And I do occasionally see people comparing AN to Dimmu or CoF which means they're familiar with Nervosa's promo pics and not much else. AN is just on a whole different level of intensity while remaining not monotonous/musically interesting (IMO).

If writing proper melodies, using orchestrations which contribute to the overall potency/ferocity while not sounding like a bunch of chimpanzees punishing garden furniture is considered an expression of faggotry - sign me up for a pair of assless chaps ;) And I do occasionally see people comparing AN to Dimmu or CoF which means they're familiar with Nervosa's promo pics and not much else. AN is just on a whole different level of intensity while remaining not monotonous/musically interesting (IMO).

Sorry but the vocals in AN aren't really anything special.

As a person who knows the majority of both SYL and Devin's solo works I think he definitely has those full tilt moments but for the most part he does not sound like he's in actual psychical pain which I think is the edge RMS has over pretty much everyone else I've heard.