Hateskor - Unbroken (my latest work)

I don't post my work here that often, but I liked how this one turned out and thought I'd share it with you. I mixed this band's debut album a bit over a year ago, and now that they have some new members, they're releasing a single which I mixed and mastered:

The label didn't upload a HQ version, but you can stream the song with better quality on my website: http://www.tainted-studio.com/?page_id=46

Go ahead, rip my mix apart if you feel like it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Only a couple of things jump out at me, but since it is done no point in really going into anything. Everything sounds pretty good man, what's the story on the kick?

Sounds better than Ensiferum's 1st album .... guitars sound really nice. Vocals sit well even if they're a bit generic but that has nothing to do with you.

Overall, some damn fine work there sir

oh yeah, the kick is ... different?

Cheers guys! Not quite sure what you mean with the kick though. I'm already really used to the mix so I'm probably missing something that's painfully obvious to everyone else :lol:

I was asked for a really trigger-ish kick sound, so in my head I went for a compromise between a really clickety-click-kick and some punch, but do elaborate!

Nah, don't think you're missing anything ... kick sounds nice, just sounds like its a little "slappy" and kinda hollow sounding to me but I'm also on small pc speakers right now so take that with a grain of powdered walrus bone

I don't think there is anything wrong with the kick, I wanted to know how you got the sound :lol: (what samples, etc.)

Ah, right-o! :D IIRC it was a couple of Slate kicks (I think the Black kick is pretty prominent in there) blended with an old Mapex sample of mine and some random ones from an Alesis drum brain (D4 or HR16, I really dig those for subtle blending). Rather radical EQ'ing and quite a bit of bus and parallel compression :)

So then there ya go .. I think I've come to the realization that I just don't like Slate kicks :p

Again, its not that it sounds bad by any means, just kinda weird to me. Probably just not what I look for in a kick sound. For me personally, this could have sounded even better with a meatier kick but then again, I'm almost never satisfied with any kick sound so my opinion changes from day to day

I'm an ass

sounds cool, no clue what kind of guitar that is-need info :D

I think the video is pretty funny, almost like "yeah, we played death metal before it was cool, now we look like hipsters" ;)

I like this, the mix is different, the strings seem to have a lot of low end to them which is uncommon, but I think it's cool. I do agree with Carlos on the kick thing, it sounds really slappy and hollow, not bad nor distracting, but doesn't stand out that much either I think.

Anyways, good stuff! I like the vocal sound, I don't like how they are dressed for the video, totally kills the mood of the music IMO, I know it's probably stupid, but I think it's important for image to go with sound.

I like this, the mix is different, the strings seem to have a lot of low end to them which is uncommon, but I think it's cool. I do agree with Carlos on the kick thing, it sounds really slappy and hollow, not bad nor distracting, but doesn't stand out that much either I think.

Anyways, good stuff! I like the vocal sound, I don't like how they are dressed for the video, totally kills the mood of the music IMO, I know it's probably stupid, but I think it's important for image to go with sound.

Cheers Dan, much appreciated! I was going for a something bit different, yeah. Probably partly because lately I've been feeling over-saturated with the "usual" metal mixes (which can be absolutely awesome, don't get me wrong!) and partly because I think my own sound is slowly developing.

Can't comment on the guys' dress code though - I'm the mixer, not the stylist :lol: