Hatesphere - The Sickness Within

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Hatesphere - The Sickness Within
SPV (Steamhammer) - SPV 99662 CD - 2006
By Brandon Strader

Hatesphere-TheSicknessWithin.jpg

One can grow weary of the hundreds and hundreds of existent gothenburg-sound groups. They all seem to sound so similar to each other. A band that tries so hard to sound average... why? Is there a point? Not to sound overly critical, but everything from the album name - The Sickness Within - to the artwork, the song titles... It is all very familiar. Same gothenburg sound, same gothenburg concepts... That's not to say Hatesphere is a group that's not worth your time, however they can never compare to the greats - or even some of the more recent groups - of the Gothenburg scene. Hatesphere takes a less melodic direction, relying more on the heavy thrashing than pursuing melody. The arrangements are fairly basic, usually falling back upon the powerchord-smothered breakdowns made popular by metalcore/hardcore groups.

The guitar work may be tight, the percussion mighty, and the vocals well-performed and thick, but where is the creativity? This group shines as a gothenburg clone, and for this will probably receive much praise from fans of the scene, but for those who want a bit of originality in their gothenburg metal, it's probably best to stick with the classics and pioneers of the scene.

The music barely strays from its basic platform - also known as the detuned heavy powerchord. Most of the time on The Sickness Within is spent repeating that detuned powerchord over and over. Lead guitars are played, but they make no impression upon the music because the bass section is still playing the basic low note throughout, which leaves the vibe of the music very stagnant and unchanging. It's a shame: the energetic performances and grinding vocals are made void by the plain songwriting and overused gothenburg elements.

5/10
By thrash standards: 4/10 (There, you happy? :))

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Hatesphere Website
Official SPV Website

This was a kickass album, man. They're not trying to be the Gothenburg sound. Your kinda assuming that since they're Swedish. This album was pure thrash and pretty much nothing else. Get your facts straight buddy.

8/10 from me

Not a trace of Gothenburg in this at all. The Exodus and Slayer influences are very easy to spot, though, and guess what, they predate Gothenburg by a good ten years. The album is good but not great...it certainly warrants better than this review.

Hatesphere is a Gothenburg death / thrash group. By thrash standards the score may have been a bit lower. Considering the group is from Denmark, I didn't assume anything because they are Swedish nor because they are from Denmark. Whether they predate Gothenburg by however many years is irrelevant, the group is - at this moment - a Gothenburg death / thrash group with the emphasis on Gothenburg.

When I think of Gothenburg, I think of At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, In Flames...none of which really sound anything like Hatesphere except in the most superficial way.