Haven't posted here in years!

Oct 31, 2002
Visit site
I think last time I posted was about my band that was about to release our album or something...

This years PPUSA lineup looks sweet, hell I'd go for Freak Kitchen/Vanden Plas alone, though attending international concerts is always a very very planned thing for me specially in september, not an easy time of year, gotta suck up to the boss. :p

About my band, in case some of you actually cared (lol), we released our studio album almost 2 years ago... and right now we are finishing our live album wich will include a bonus track, and a demo of our next studio album.
You can check some stuff of the first studio album at:

www.myspace.com/synesthesiadr

In the up coming weeks we'll be uploading three new songs, the demo, the bonus track and a sampler of the live recording.

Hope you guys like it!

Fun to be posting back here. :headbang:

That's funny. I thought of calling a band (actually, a solo project, if I ever did one) "Synesthesia" when I learned what it was and that I have it. Then, the guys from Abysmal Gates (a band of whom I was a part for a short period of time) talked about changing their name to that. Then a few years later, Suspyre's old singer writes to me asking if we could start a project, and yep, guess what he wanted to call it...

By the way: sounds pretty awesome! Your music actually holds my interest and sounds very unique. I love the Latin influence I hear.

Yo S.O.D., I remember you all the way back from the Tabcrawler days (this is Aiylyn). Good to see you're still alive & kicking. Good luck getting up here for PP8 dude!

EDIT: suggestion for those wanting to use "Synesthesia": one thing you might do if you really like the root word is change the variance/declension. For example, call your band/project "Synesthesiac." While it's not exactly the same, it's clearly related in meaning and IMO would work just as well. (It's kinda similar to the Necrophagia/Necrophagist, Sacrifice/Sacrificium, or Destruction/Destructor distinction)

For those who don't know:
Definition

My university tried to "teach" music students to use synesthesiac techniques when performing ear-training exercises. "Listen to the note and then try to visualize what color it feels like, then when you hear the note again your brain will automatically think of the associated color thus allowing you to correctly identify the note." I can see how this would work. If you hear someone's name, you might be automatically picture them in your mind, and blame it on having a "visual/photographic memory." It seems I have a mini movie theater in my head since my "mind's eye" is always visualizing what I'm talking about at that moment. So I don't know why the technic above never worked for me. I failed Aural Perception I three times. :zombie:

I think everyone has a small amount of synesthesiac abilities. For instance, smell and taste. Or sight linked with smell. Smelling a barbeque might make your brain recall the taste. Seeing an orange can induce your brain to recall the scent.

I wonder if synesthesia can be a learned condition... maybe my professors were trying to "train our brains" instead of just suggesting cognitive tricks-of-the-trade. :err:

See, I don't think it can be learned. When I heard about Scriabin and his synesthesia I was like "of course, doesn't everyone think that way?" But the rest of the class was like "wow...really?" Judging by everyone with whom I've spoken about the condition, most people think it's crazy.

For those who don't know:
Definition

My university tried to "teach" music students to use synesthesiac techniques when performing ear-training exercises. "Listen to the note and then try to visualize what color it feels like, then when you hear the note again your brain will automatically think of the associated color thus allowing you to correctly identify the note." I can see how this would work. If you hear someone's name, you might be automatically picture them in your mind, and blame it on having a "visual/photographic memory." It seems I have a mini movie theater in my head since my "mind's eye" is always visualizing what I'm talking about at that moment. So I don't know why the technic above never worked for me. I failed Aural Perception I three times. :zombie:

I think everyone has a small amount of synesthesiac abilities. For instance, smell and taste. Or sight linked with smell. Smelling a barbeque might make your brain recall the taste. Seeing an orange can induce your brain to recall the scent.

I wonder if synesthesia can be a learned condition... maybe my professors were trying to "train our brains" instead of just suggesting cognitive tricks-of-the-trade. :err:

Oh geez there goes the fucking neighborhood! ;)

LMAO! I'll behave and not post that many "Please bring Pain Of Salvation back to ProgPower USA" threads, maybe I'll just bombard it with "Put Aghora in ProgPower USA for the love of God!!!!" :)

Hey Aylyn veeeeery loooooong time no see man! great to see you too!

Aboot the name, back when we first started to use it (almost 5 years ago, woah) I googled all over the internet looking for bands with that same name, of course, and got nothing... except some obscure techno band... so we went with it. And bam 4 years later, I've seen like 5 different bands with the name. :p

About the music and stuff, yesterday we where at the studio working on the 2 new songs, one wich will be included as bonus in the live album and the other will be released as demo for the next studio album, and they are coming out sweeeeet (with much more improved sound and recording quality), makes one feel proud, hehehe. To give it a general perspective of how the songs feel I'd say one is Opeth meets Evergrey meets The Mars Volta meets Dream Theater, and the other would be like Dredg meets Goo Goo Dolls meets King Crimson meets U2 or something... like Gregg pointed out, we like to wear our latin influences right upfront, though the new studio songs dont show that as much, for the live album we took our metal songs and changed them into pyschodelia rock and stuff wich gave us the sweet oportunity to use the latin influence more apropiately... I cant wait to put the stuff out there for the world to listen. :headbang:

LMAO! I'll behave and not post that many "Please bring Pain Of Salvation back to ProgPower USA" threads, maybe I'll just bombard it with "Put Aghora in ProgPower USA for the love of God!!!!" :)

Special thanks to "DrumRman" LOL!!! I still think thats great!

Damn good disc too!

Special thanks to "DrumRman" LOL!!! I still think thats great!

Damn good disc too!

LMAO! we just had to! every band that has thanked you in their liners seems to be striking gold, we are hoping the "Special thanks to DrumRman" works its magic for us too. :p

Really, the liners and the music itself is packed with band's inner jokes, how could we ever let that one pass, hehehe. ;)