Haven't posted in this subforum in a while, now i have something to present to you.

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
Sup guys? It's been a while since i have posted in the RMM section, but this is the first mix i have actually spent loads of time on. What i would consider a "semi-pro" mix. I'm pretty sure i have posted this song in the past, but this version has a way different mix; re-tracked everything and with all new equipment.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/Crucifixation.mp3

Please take just a second to at least say ONE thing you would change about this mix, or not change :p I want to use your opinions and apply them to the full length I am getting ready to work on, and just like all of you, I want it to make it sound the best it can!

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer. As i have noticed hardly anyone checks the RMM section out anymore, let's bring the RMM section back in action!

The mix sounds really good. The only thing I noticed is that there could be just a hair more mids in the overall mix. That and I like the widening on the vocals when they're blended with several tracks, however I believe there still needs to be a core vocal track thats more centered. Outside of those two things it sounds great, either way be proud of it. I wish my mixes sounded that good.

thanks man, i scooped a little out of the mids in my master chain and thought it sounded good at the time (probably due to ear fatigue). ill go back and mess with that and see how i like it. i kinda agree on the vocals as well. i always like full sounding vox and i figured a good way to achieve that was tracking everything at least twice, but it kinda takes away from the widening on the double tracked (highs and lows) parts IMO.

thanks for the thoughts!

I think you went light on bass. can hear a lot of sub bass when it comes in but not much above it, from the bass guitar and kick. with this your are losing impact coming from the song and rely on the drops to make it, imho.

I double that bass issue.
And also the snare seems very weak. At those heavy doublebass parts it loses it's perserverance.
Also the guitars seem a bit loud, so they might be overpowering the drums a little.

Hope that helps!

thanks guys. its hard to judge the amount of bass there really is because i dont have the best speakers... probably because i dont use monitors. and i went to listen to this in my car that has subs, and noticed the bass was nearly inaudible. i guess i was focusing more on the high bass track more than the low.

I feel like the vocals are too loud. Getting them lower and and revisiting the mix from there would do good. I also feel like the kick has a bit too much click and not enough bass in it. The tremolo picked part sounds much too low in bass, some automating in guitar and bass wouldn't do wrong in this section. Low bass track needs to get higher but just in parts of the song, and the guitars need just a bit of EQ carving IMO, they sound a tiny bit boxy. This is pretty much what I can say for now, hope it helps!

Thanks man, i'll definitely take these thoughts into consideration!

I can never get vocals to sit well in a mix. shrug. tracked with a 57 > presonus TubePre > Audiobox > Reaper, but the room we track vocals in.... its my closet. probably around 5x6x8 with a slanted ceiling. definitely far from a decent vocal tracking room/booth, what have you, as there is no treatment. the closet sits inside a "hallway" room of about the same size, just without the slanted ceiling, so there is a little more sq ft, could i benefit from tracking in that room, or perhaps just my actual bedroom?

As far as the kick, i am kinda going for that Brian Hood sounding kick; thick beefy low end with a cutting high end click but not too overwhelming. I think as far as i have come from the stock kick10 sound in SSD, i am in the right direction, but not fully there. and i think with the trem pick part, perhaps i could just automate the kick and low bass levels a bit. or some multiband comp.