Having trouble with my interface...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
So I installed my Onyx 1200F on my Vista 64 laptop for the first time this morning and it's giving me issues. It installs fine, the control panel works fine, etc. but when I try to playback any sound it is just crackling mono noise with a little bit of the original source underneath and it plays at like half speed. At first I logically assumed it was a buffer issue even though it was set at 256 samples, so I cranked it up to 1024 and the issue got even WORSE. I turned the buffer down to 32 samples and tried playing a project in Reaper and despite the fact that there was still too much crackling to be in anyway usable, this was the only setting where everything sounded the way it should and played at the right speed with any sort of clarity. This is completely backwards! What the hell is going on? Am I forgetting to set something? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Sooo bummed right now, I want to track some stuff and my gear is useless to me without my damn interface functioning properly.

When I installed it this morning, I updated to the newest firmware in the unit when prompted about it so I wonder if that is causing the problem? I couldn't get most Windows sounds to play through the unit either, only through analog outputs 1 and 2. Even when I set the default Windows audio output to be Headphones 1 and set my Control Room monitors to be feeding off of those channels, it still wouldn't output any sound that way. Reaper could send to those channels no problem though. All of this worked fine on my old XP laptop :mad:

So I installed my Onyx 1200F on my Vista 64 laptop for the first time this morning and it's giving me issues...All of this worked fine on my old XP laptop :mad:

I believe this is the active ingredient of your post ;) Why not use your old XP laptop, did it die or something?

SOS have a big Vista music-optimisation guide in this months mag, just in case you can get it over there.

I believe this is the active ingredient of your post ;) Why not use your old XP laptop, did it die or something?

Wireless card got fried because the fan inside wasn't set to run fast enough from the factory and when I sent it in for warranty repair they sent me this new laptop to replace it. I would put XP on this thing but it's got 4gb of RAM and I know XP 32 won't be able to use it all.

Came back an hour after posting this, turned everything back on and tried again and now it works fine. Go figure. Still won't play stuff from Winamp or ITunes but that isn't the end of the world.