Headphone Amp Recommendations?

REDBOX04

Obsessed with Gear
Jan 16, 2008
in my mind
Hey guys,

I'm in the market to buy a good headphone amp for my rehearsal studio. Basically what I want to do is have everyone wearing headphones and have both the guitars, and the bass all plug in direct and then the drums are live.
It seems like it would be a great way to rehearse reducing ear fatigue, leveling issues (i cant hear you/myself) and enabling us to rehears with backing tracks and a click.

Here's what I need:

- It needs to output very LOUD volumes with very little/no distortion. The space is a small bedroom so we need to be able to hear well with the drums blasting right in front of us.

- It needs to have at least 4 headphone channels. I would prefer not to pay for more then 4, but I'm sure there are exceptions worth mentioning.

- It needs to have individual volume control for each headphone.

- I'd like to stay under the $200 price range.

Right now I'm highly considering the Presonus HP4.

It seems to fit the bill quite nicely, so if anyone has any experience with it please comment.

Cant wait to hear what you guys recommend! Thanks in advance! :headbang:

I have the Presonus HP60, and f'kin love it. 6 headphone outputs, indepent volumes and mix levels ("more me" function), good sound... A bit over your budget, if the HP4 is anywhere near the bigger brother go for it.

depends on the kind of headphones you're using.

Get some isolation headphones like the Extreme Isolation EX-25s which will block a lot of the outside noise and then you won't need to drive them so hard and deafen yourself.

For loud headphones, cut the lows 40 or 50Hz, and a small dip in the presence frequencies around 2-5kHz so they are less fatiguing.
A limiter on the heaphone send can help too. Make sure it's not causing any latency though.