Headphone recommendation or looow-budget monitors

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys...

Unfortunately I can't afford a decent pair of monitors at the moment (additionally I only have the place for really small monitors), so I need some recommendations, please :D

I read some good reviews of the akg 271. I plan to re-check my mixes over my kenwood stereo - I think I really know the sound of it and can compare my mixes to reference-tracks.

Would you recommend the akg 271 + home-stereo over some cheap and tiny low-budget monitors (for example the samson resolv 40A or m-audio studiopro 3)?

Cheers,
joe

Ok...I'll be different here. Grado SR-80's. About $90. Honestly, I'm hearing details on CD's that I've never heard before. They have to go through a break-in period of about 30 hours or so. But after that, they're super accurate. But forget about any kind of isolation from outside noises. Anything you can hear without the headphones, you'll hear with the headphones on. But this is what gives them such an open sound. It doesn't even sound like you're wearing headphones. No, this is not a paid endorsement. Haha I just love these things (but am now looking for some good isolating phones as well).

I've got a Sennheiser HD280pro. I really like it.

I have these, and they're nice 'phones to have around. I've mixed on these before, and I'll say from experience you will have to tweak your mix a bit to get everything to sit right on proper speakers, but that's pretty much par for the course with headphones.

Anyway, what's good about the HD280Pros:

Well, first off, they have a lot (30 db) of isolation. I love them for tracking or even just jamming on drums. I've found them handy when placing mics, too.

They can handle a ton of volume, too. You'll rattle the housing long before you'll get those speakers to distort. They're not harsh or ear-fatiguing, either, so you might want to watch out for that. You may find you're listening at much higher volumes than you realized.

They don't have a big bottom end, especially compared to 'phones that aren't meant for pro audio applications (think monitors vs. home stereo speakers in that regard) but if you're used to normal consumer headphones, you'll probably grow to appreciate the difference. Instead of boomy lows, you get clear bass frequencies, with significantly more definition much deeper than you're used to. You can hear what's really going on down there. (Though you still won't be able to hear the bass any better on And Justice For All. ;))

If you're used to cheap headphones and love good sounding audio, I'm betting you'll learn the HD280Pros- or any decent headphones you get- quickly enough that you can work with them with confidence. Good 'phones, like good monitors or a good stereo, are a joy to listen to. I tracked and mixed this on my HD280Pros several years ago, and I think it sounds pretty decent: Marshall JMP 2204 and Pod XT w/boost clip. Never did adjust it through "real speakers", so the drums are too loud and the solo's too quiet, but...

They have to go through a break-in period of about 30 hours or so. But after that, they're super accurate.

Shit, I forgot to mention that in my post about the Sennheisers. Like any speaker, they need some time at decent volumes to break in.

At least they're not Vintage 30s. When I got my V30 Marshall cab, I had it stuffed and covered with blankets and towels, face-down on my practice room floor, with my JCM 2000 TSL cranked up and my ESP Eclipse on its stand, plugged in and feeding back. Then I left for the day. Sounded like someone was running a shop-vac in there. :lol:

At least they're not Vintage 30s. When I got my V30 Marshall cab, I had it stuffed and covered with blankets and towels, face-down on my practice room floor, with my JCM 2000 TSL cranked up and my ESP Eclipse on its stand, plugged in and feeding back. Then I left for the day. Sounded like someone was running a shop-vac in there. :lol:

WOW - that's freakin' ridiculous dude!

And I've been using Sony MDR-7506's (the $100 pair) for the past 3 years or so - how would you say they compare to the HD280's?

i just got some ath m50's made by audio technica. the are really nice. the best i have used yet for sure. you can get them for about 129.95 and they are worth every penny. super highs and plenty of lows without seeming fake or hyped. they are very comfortable and have plenty of isolation for me to play the drums to while tracking. they are the best ive used for mixing for sure. i have used most all of the usual suspects mentioned in this thread, and i like the new a.t.s way better. i plan on getting at least three more pairs. check them out.

Hey dudes, thanks for your opinions.
I think I'm going to check out the AKG 271 and the Sennheisers. What unsilpauly wrote about that Audio Technica's sounds good, too.

man, just looked it up: those are 256.55$ here in europe. crazy :OMG:

WHAT??? That is CRAZY! Are you sure you were looking at the SR-80's?

Here's where I got mine...maybe they'll ship overseas?

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/grado/grado-sr-80.php

EDIT: Never mind. Just saw on their site that they don't ship over seas. SORRY!
Here's a place in the UK selling for £99. Not sure of the exchange rate and how that compares.
http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/

i just got some ath m50's made by audio technica. the are really nice. the best i have used yet for sure. you can get them for about 129.95 and they are worth every penny. super highs and plenty of lows without seeming fake or hyped. they are very comfortable and have plenty of isolation for me to play the drums to while tracking. they are the best ive used for mixing for sure. i have used most all of the usual suspects mentioned in this thread, and i like the new a.t.s way better. i plan on getting at least three more pairs. check them out.

$129?!??! Man, if only - Sweetwater wants $190 for 'em, any suggestions? Cuz they do look great...