Headphone - Akg K240 MKII or Shure SRH440

Fagulhakc

Dec 25, 2014
Hi guys!

I am about to buy a headphone to help me with my home recording and mixing.

I want a headphone to check my mixes along with my monitors, so it wont be my main reference source. But I want to be able of doing some minor adjustments and even mixing at night.

I have these two options now: Akg K240 MKII or Shure SRH440

So I would love to hear your recomendations and opinions about these two headphones.

I dont have the option to test the two (I need to buy online).

Thanks

from these two I'd probably would go for AKG, because of semi-open back. Closed back headphones have some weirdness in hi-mid region.

I had the MKII for about 5 years and love them. They are sooooo confortable, you can wear them for hours and they sound great.

That being said I don't think they are the best option for mixing. They sound too flattering and smooth. I tried mixing on them but it didn't translate well at all on other systems. For movies , gaming or just casual music listening they are by far my favorite cans though.

I also tried the shure SRH840(a bit more expensive than the 440) and found them much better for mixing/tracking applications compared to the MKII. Nice detailed mids and punchy bass. More flat sounding all around. On the other hand I find them heavy and can get unconfortable really quick.

I had the MKII for about 5 years and love them. They are sooooo confortable, you can wear them for hours and they sound great.

That being said I don't think they are the best option for mixing. They sound too flattering and smooth. I tried mixing on them but it didn't translate well at all on other systems.

+1 on all accounts, loved them for the comfort and they do sound very good but I, too, found that my mixes done (partially) on these didn't translate very well. That's much better now with my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro. Yes, I'm aware they are much more expensive but still.

Not saying the AKGs are bad - they are great actually, it's just that for me personally the 880s work better.

Thanks for the answers guys. I know that for a flat response I would have to shoot more expensive cans, but thats hard living in Brazil. Few options, galactic price. Do you recomend something better for mixing in this price range?

from these two I'd probably would go for AKG, because of semi-open back. Closed back headphones have some weirdness in hi-mid region.
Going to have to agree with this.

I haven't tried AKG k240's or SRH440, but after buying my AKG k702's and a proper interface that can drive them at reasonable levels, there's just no comparison between the 702's and my closed back ATH-M50's.

The semi-open 702's are much more natural sounding in the mids and highs, it's just pleasing to listen to, and almost airy sounding. The M50's (and most other closed backs I've tried) have too much bass, and a distinct lack of clarity especially in the mids and highs (in my opinion).

I sometimes mix on headphones but I specifically love listening on them. I will never buy another closed back pair of headphones again, unless for exclusively tracking. Closed back headphones are great for tracking because they have minimal leakage, and are just super loud (potentially helping performances).

I've had the 440s for about 5-6 years and I really like them. I find that when I do have to mix on them, it usually translates pretty well. That said, I'm very used to them.

The only problem I've found with them is that they get uncomfortable after a while, but that forces me to take breaks if I'm mixing on them, so it kind of works