Help me to choose a headphone

I think that the AKG K-240 DF 600 ohm ones are wery good to , lot of people are saying good things about them on other forums, but they are out of production?, i don`t think that the K-240 55 ohm ones are the same as the old K-240 DF 600. Those 600 ohm DF where designed for german radio/thelephone stations(dont remember where i read that), they need an external, dedicated headphone amplifier to drive them becouse otherwise they are wery low in volume,but higher impedance headphone coils are more rugged, less susceptable to burn out, and several pairs can be driven in parallel ;i think that`s the idea behind the 600 ohm.
I owned the AKG 240 55 ohm studio, 95 eu on thomann, and didn`t work for me.
Lasse if you buy a new one of K-240 can you tell us which model did you buy and if it`s the same soundwise as your earlier cans? Thanks

EdiT: here it is a link where i read about
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...ne-who-has-used-uses-akg-k240-headphones.html

I picked up a set of Sennheiser HD380 Pro's from GC over Labor Day weekend. Haven't had any real quality time with them yet but they definitely don't have the lack of low end punch that I've found in a lot of other cans I've tried. Give them a listen if you get a chance.

I've had AKG240 (not the studio ones though), but they were older than me and allready fucked up.
Got me some Sennheiser HD-650 and I love them. I bit harsh in he high mids but I got used to it. A pitty that those aren't in your price range though^^

If you are mixing with only headphones and don't mid buying 2 pairs, then I think using a pair of 240 type and a pair of M50 would work best. I use both AKG K240 (600 ohm 1980's vintage) and ATHM50 to check/adjust my mixes (I don't mix with headphones). They sound very different so this works well for hearing problem areas of a mix. For me if the mix sounds smooth and defined with a big balanced bottom end on the M50's and Ns10 sounding on the K240's then my mix usually plays well on all systems. You can get the bottom end right on the 240's but you have to learn them as the bass is not pronounced, just as you would have to approach mixing differently if using only the M50's. The low end of the M50 somewhat ( and I emphasize somewhat) simulates what you would hear on a full range soffit monitor system in a high end professionally designed control room. I did recording and mixing work in a Tom Hidley designed "Westlake Sound" recording studio with soffit mounted Westlakes with 18 inch Gauss woofers. They moved alot of air, really THUMPED (long excursion). The extreme bottom end and the transient attack of low end notes was SCARY. I had never heard the real bottom end spectrum like that until I worked in that room. The M50 kinda reminds me of that sound (without the transient attack) although not nearly as defined, after all they are only $100 headphones. But the M50's give you an idea of what's going on in the bottom end.