Need headphone suggestions (take 2)

Man, I don't know if I got a bad pair, but I just HATE my K240 MKII. The low-mids are so pronunced that annoys me. It even masks other frequencies. I like my ATH-M50s faaar better

on the same level as opals?

lol

Like I said in the other thread, read up about audeze lcd2

they cost a grand. i dont know what your budget is though.

Okay guys, now that I finally got rid of those horrible Sennheiser HD650s, I'm after some proper headphones again.

Could you please name me your top suggestions? Ideally only ones you've personally worked with, and you have felt to be exceptional (ie. on the level that Event Opals are as monitors).

The primary use for these will be to balance low-end during mixing, a purpose my ATH-M50s are currently serving (with some difficulty, being a closed design and all).

Ideally if they can sound nothing whatsoever like the HD650s, that would be great. Also, if they could feel like they weren't built as plastic toys for toddlers, that would be an added bonus.

I'm essentially just after an upgraded, open-eared version of the ATH-M50s. Higher impedance than the ATH is a MUST, as I only get one notch on my headphone amp volume which is actually usable due to how low their impedance is.

Cheers!

More questions:

- do you mean the model you have now is ATH-50 or ATH-50S (they both exist)?
- Can you point out what it is that you like and don't like about the ATH's sound characteristics wise? What is the characteristics you want more and what do you want less?
- What was wrong with the HD650's and how long did you burn them in?
- And you want something that has like 40-400ohms instead of the 38 ohms that the ATH-50s have? Any particular reason for wanting to crank your headphone amp louder instead?
- With "open eared" do you mean Supra-aural instead of Circum-aural type headphones or do you mean you want semi-open back?