Guys quick - need good headphone suggestions

Yeah that's it.
I just tried them in shop for an hour with a friend who's a great mixer in a big studio in Paris (mixing electro/rock/french touch with punchy bass) and we found that's a real beast in bass departement compared to other. He knows every great headphones for real, and told me this one is in another league than beyerdynamics, akg and other classic, for mixing. You can feel the sub, thanks to its active design, a that's a big +1.
I can't really compare to the Opals as I wasn't at home for a month, but I know it's the one i'll buy as soon as I can, because of clean really fat bass and clear highs; and another thing is that there's an "flip phase" system that erase sounds coming from the outside, so you can still work when you travel (you may don't care/need it but for me it's cool).

I don't know what you need and prefer, and I just tried them for an hour couldn't compared them directly to Opals, so the best as always is to go try it. Just don't dismiss it cause there is Dr.Dre write on it! USA beatmakers/R'n'B producers know how to master bass, and this headphone was made for that purpose.

Seems weird that you can't turn off the noise cancellation? What's that about? We don't need out of phase stuff playing, leaving artifacts in the music. And needs batteries to run???

I don't know, I think I'm looking more in the traditional headphone segment. The HD650s still seem like the lead contenders, but I don't like these comments about subdued high mids. That would make them different to the Opals, meaning a greater adjustment period and more confusion.

Can't you just head to a music store and try a few pairs though?

There's nothing like your own ears to be able to decide.

I have a set of Grado SR225 that are very neutral and seem to translate well. The guy in the office next to me has a set of the RS1's, those are the witches tit.

my best friend us an audiophile and he owned like 3 different pairs of grados, and I still think that my Sennheiser HD25's sounded way better than all of them. The highs are really harsh on them. But I really think the HD600's are really awesome headphones.

Just go try them all, you need to find what's the more comfortable for you; some have lot of dynamic/percussive Bass like Ultrasone PRO 900 or "Beats", but it can be tiring for long sessions. I use beyer DT 770 pro for that reason, I tried them and feel comfortable with it, but i'm not sure it's good for precise mix...
Again, try them all.

I have both HD650s and Grado RS-1 and I prefer the Senns. I think the Grados are more coloured (stronger mids) and have more separation between the left and right sides. They sound really good listening to rock but are not as versatile or neutral as they 600/650s imo.

I'll bump this instead of starting a new thread.

Looking to get some better phones to replace my K240 Studios. I tend to go 50/50 with mixing on monitors and on phones, especially since my room is untreated and I simply cannot trust the bass I get with my HS80M's. What I'm looking for is a nice low mid detail and good bass; high-end and high mid I'm not that concerned with, since I get good translation with HS80M's at that area. The low mids on the HS80M's feel scooped though, so thus the need for a new pair of headphones.

So initially I was thinking about the ATH-M50 as a certain choice, since they're said to have very good bass. But as I read more about them, I also found out that most think that that bass is misleading, and that they're not that accurate. So I'm thinking about perhaps putting some more money on the phones (say, €250 tops) hoping that I'll get something "similar, but better".

So say, besides the already recommended HD600/HD650's, how about the AKG K702's? Anyone here have them? Or perhaps the K701's? Also, would be better if they don't require an amp.

thanks to this thread I got this as a present. :D

Picture%20005.jpg

Picture%20007.jpg

Picture%20009.jpg

and also M-Audio Oxygen49 Midi keyboard :D

copy.png
trans.png

So say, besides the already recommended HD600/HD650's, how about the AKG K702's? Anyone here have them? Or perhaps the K701's? Also, would be better if they don't require an amp.

Really, really lacking in bass and really needing amplification.

Not good for mixing at all IMO (though the mids sound great).

I have AKG K702s, and they are amazing. I haven't encountered headphones I like as much. They are extremely flat, so don't look for hype anywhere with them. I use them for mixing and mastering. In your quest, you should check out this website:

http://www.headphone.com/

You will find response graphs and other data for any headphones in your price range here. The cool part is that you can plot custom graphs that compare a few different sets of cans on one graph in different colors, for example this graph.

Happy shopping!

I have AKG K702s, and they are amazing. I haven't encountered headphones I like as much. They are extremely flat, so don't look for hype anywhere with them. I use them for mixing and mastering.

From my experience with the K702, they weren't flat, they had a definite lack in bass.

:/

I recall their mids and highs were really good though, but the HD 600s just stroke me as way more balanced, the K701/702 having about no bass impact and little extension (+ I heard the K702 are really hard to drive to get to their full potential, some swear you've gotta use a dedicated headphone amp for them).

From my experience with the K702, they weren't flat, they had a definite lack in bass.

:/

I recall their mids and highs were really good though, but the HD 600s just stroke me as way more balanced, the K701/702 having about no bass impact and little extension (+ I heard the K702 are really hard to drive to get to their full potential, some swear you've gotta use a dedicated headphone amp for them).

Look at the graph, they have a lot of bass, just not as hyped as some in the low end. I'm not sure how they well they fare with lower powered headphone outputs, I'm using mine with my RME FireFace 800, which has an excellent headphone out. I've also used them with my wife's vintage Marantz 2245 receiver, which has a ton of power on its headphone output, so perhaps I'm not the best judge here.

KRK just released some cans that could be interesting. I have some senn575's that are really nice and clear for listening, but want some closed backs.