Guys quick - need good headphone suggestions

Yeah I'm still debating between the DT880Pros and HD650s. I think it will likely come down to a listening test at a local pro audio shop.

The HD650s seem good in theory, but I don't like this whole spiel about them having 'gentle highs', because that's totally at odds with the Opals.

as i already said, i can highly recommend the beyerdynamic stuff.
my dt770 always agree with my adam p11a's, but complement each other very well by highlighting different aspects of a mix.
i used to have these audio technica 50something cans, and they were a honky fuzzy mess in comparison.

My recently discovered bitch is that it seems a good headphone amp is a must. I was hoping to get away with the headphone outs on my saffire 56. I need to do some reading on it, but a brief post I read somewhere suggested that the 595's are good without an expensive headphone amp as they are low ohmage (50 OHM), but the 650s may sound dodgy being higher ohmage (300 i think). Might help explain why I dont like the Dt100s much, them being something like 400ohms im having to crank the output pretty high.

I cannot compare the HD650 to the Opals as I never heard one pair, but the HD650 I own actually have this pristine clear characteristic that I love. I'm afraid to say that it's easier for me to mix with them than with my monitors since for the moment I have no treated room. I remember listening to the last Gojira album, and with them I could really feel the awesomeness of the mix, how easy all parts of the drumkit pierce the wall of sound, a bit "3D". I mean, compared to my monitor (yam HS80m) in my shitty room.

I'm not sure where do people hear "gentle highs". I'm not as pro as many here but that was not something that was too obvious to me, so ?

I can tell how easy they are to wear. For hours without any headache. They are light and confortable.

You should try them and the DT880 to find the closest to the Opals, but I still can say for the HD650 that, at least, you have one very good option.

I don't teach you something new about them with this post, but I wanted to say I own one pair of them and am really happy of them.

Just saw this thread is old but I have already written that post so I'm posting it.

Well, I've got a set of AKG K-702's coming for Christmas, so hopefully I'll be able to help there.

From what I can see here it will probably be worth investing in a headphone amp though.

Well, I finally got the HD650s.

HD650.jpg

Been working with them for about 3 days now, since I was mid-mix when they arrived. On the whole I'm quite underwhelmed. I was expecting something that sounded much more open and involving by a pair of cans touted as being some of the best you can possibly buy. Construction feels really cheap and shoddy - like they picked the cheapest kid-friendly glitter plastic they could. Not quite as 'malleable' as the M50s either, and nowhere near the same amount of sub, which tends to make music sound really tame. Midrange seems really grainy, phasey and distorted - that became really obvious when referencing against the Opals. Something about the mids really rubs me the wrong way, I literally get angry if I'm listening to music on them for too long. Highs are just average, nothing special.

On the whole they don't really move me. Listening to well-mixed music on the Opals is almost a religious experience. On these it's almost chore-like. I'm not looking into the mix.. I'm looking at some half-digested version of what went in.

Maybe they need a better amp than what's in my SPL 2Control? I don't know - it sounds like they need a lot more than that to save them.

Probably a lesson to try before buying next time.

just got the AKG K240 MKIIs a cpl of weeks ago, really like them and i hate cans, been speaking to Joey tonight and he loves them too!

I bought the K240 studio, and im really annoyed by the lack of bass in them.. but other then that they are great, very clear sounding which lets you control the highs really well. :)