Headphone amp suggestions please

kvoid

May 27, 2008
Well I got my DT-880 PROs and I must say they're a damn fine pair of flat and unflattering cans, and they;re comfy to boot, only problem is they have 250 Ohms of impedance. Now that's all fine and dandy for you lot with pro gear but my crappy Line Sucks KB37 has an output impedance of less than 25 Ohm on the headphone out :loco:

So I guess it's back to the web window shopping for something suitable. I know there's that really nice Crane Song monitor controller and the Grace m902, but in that case I might just as well pitch in a few extra pennies and get me a pair of Klein & Hummels or something :lol: Ideally something cheap, this is for a home setup, I need 100mW at 250 Ohm to power these beyers to full. I was thinking of the behringer but something tells me it'll be :puke: Should I just bust out the iron and build a CMoy or something similar? I'm not too great at soldering but I don't feel like paying for a fancy name and a made in the first world sticker when the unit will be a KFC party bucket in parts value. I only need one headphone out, no frills, just something to amplify the signal coming from this aging turd of an interface that I have.

Thanks in advance guys!

Rane HC-6. Love mine.

Edit- Oops nevermind, if you only are looking for one out then that would be going a bit over board.

But why not splurge now for something that will be useful in the future?

If you are looking for cheap yet decent, check out the Presonus cheapo(well it's semi cheap). I also used a ProCo VERY cheap HP amp, and for the price it was actually very nice. Lots of power and clean signal.

Or SM Pro M-Patch if you want to have a monitor controler plus an amp ?
The best option to me is DIY and soldering the amp, it is really easy... The most difficult will be finding a nice box and fitting into it !

I think I'll go the DIY route or holler at that ebay dude, thank you all gentlemen :)