Headphone amp for a project studio situation

zirkonflex

You name it
Aug 12, 2008
Northern Germany
Hey dudes, I haven't posted in ages but I think I need some shared wisdom/experience here. Really quick: Project studio drum rehearsal/recording situation. Everything goes in to a single interface being distributed to poweramps for PA (sometimes) and studio monitors as well as a simple wireless unit. The wireless only offers three channels, yet I sometimes need more. I have the stereo signal running out of the wireless in to a cheap ass 4 channel headphone pre (some musicstore housebrand) that somebody had laying around. It needs replacing ASAP (distorts when coming even close to acceptable volume). I am no retard when it comes to getting the signals right and am not using fancy high impedance headphones. Looking around I read fairly bad reviews of almost all kinds of headphone pres with people talking about distortion and insufficient volume almost all the time. I'm looking at a budget around 200-250 bucks. Honestly, the sound/transients don't even matter if people plug in to it with horrible isolation headphones or inear buds, I just need something that doesn't distort audibly at drummer-acceptable volume. Thanks in advance, ye olde Max.

I've heard some very good things about Schiit (yes, that's pronounced the way you think) Audio stuff. Been thinking about picking up the Asgard model in particular. $249, solid-state, and very transparent & flat response from what I've heard.

What i've Learned is to have higher volume on headphone preamp and that turn up your signal into preamp. I could bet that's the problem that it distorts on input, just give it a try. It's because preamp expect weak signal, but you are giving descent amount of gain and you get TS style boost.

Most amps will have a lot of headroom before distortion, so you won't have trouble finding something that fits your needs. I use a Presonus HP4 and an Art HeadAmp6. Both within your budget. The Art one is MUCH more feature packed, including Input meter, which is a very good thing. I regularly drive Sennheiser HD280 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 with it.