Opinions On These Headphone Choices

Robert W

May 13, 2009
I have about $150+/- to spend on a new pair of headphones, and would like to get a pair with the flattest response possible for the money. These models came recommended by various people so far. I'm getting ready to buy, so if someone could give me any pros/cons on these, it would be very much appreciated.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

AKG K171 MKII

AKG K 240 Studio

Audio Technica ATH-M50

M-Audio Q40

Sony MDR-7506

I really love my Sony's, but they are not quite as flat as you seem to be looking for. You should add some Beyerdynamics to the list. They make good shit.

I own the Sennheiser's and I'm pretty satisfied with them.
I've heard great things about the Beyerdynamics as well. Was actually thinking of upgrading to them.

Do they have a particular model in the price range I originally stipulated you'd recommend?

Do they have a particular model in the price range I originally stipulated you'd recommend?
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro / 770 Pro depending on whether you want a closed or open design. The "open" version has a flatter response.
Make sure you go to a pro-audio store and have a listen yourself! You will want to be comfortable with the headphones you're buying. Not every headphone fits every head ;)
Also, try the AKG 240 (non-studio), some say the studio version is horrible.