which headphones for mixing

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
Need your help once again :D

I need to get a good set of headphones for mixing, to accompany my Rubicons, to spot those small details and be able to mix bass properly.

I'm totally confused, I felt the same when I was deciding which monitors to buy. My budget lies somewhere between 150 and 200 euros.

My options so far have been:
Sennheiser HD-25-1 II (my teacher recommended these over Beyerdynamic DT-770's, said they're much more accurate but obviously not as comfortable)

http://www.thomann.de/fi/sennheiser_hd251_ii.htm

Beyerdynamic DT-770 80ohm version (lots of people like them, but some people think they're too cloudy and have too much low end, including my teacher)

http://www.thomann.de/fi/beyerdynamic_dt770_pro80_ohm.htm

AKG-701 (don't actually know anything about these and they're even a bit over my budget. Tell me what you think)

http://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_k701.htm

Feel free to add any models in the list, at the moment I have no idea which pair to grab. I feel I value my teacher's opinion a lot, but I feel I'll want to shuffle the deck just a bit more. As always of course, I want the best for my money :lol:

I'd probably end up going with the Sennheiser set myself. I LOVE my HD 280 Pro cans. And I can only imagine that the HD 25's sound even better... Matter of fact... I think I may have to go give them a listen. :p

After AB-ing, Senns HD-280 Pro (my friend has a pair too, so I know 'em pretty well) are lacking in bass and subbass + have somewhat agressive higher mids. Do not want. I'd think the HD 25 might be similar, but after a bit of researching it's not. However...

Take a look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50, they sounded many lightyears better IMO and did not seem to have any unequal frequencies.
Many peeps on here have them, like Marcus.

For the record I ABed Senn HD 280 Pro, Sony MDR V6, Beyerdynamic DT 250-80 (DT770 is too bassy for mixing IMO) and AT ATH-M50. They're written in the order I preferred them, from worst to last, and from a mixing standpoint as well of a listening standpoint.

Yeah, my 280's are really best-used for ironing out the mid-range in things. I will have to give those AT's a listen. Thanks :)

Like what I'm reading about the ATH-M50's. I'll ask around about them some more, and maybe I can try them out somewhere.

I don't know what these stores are called in Finland, but the big music stores probably have a pair of them on a rack to try out.

Yeah, I have a few places in my mind where I think I might just find these.

I seriously can't find a single bad review on the AT's.

Yeah, I have a few places in my mind where I think I might just find these.

I seriously can't find a single bad review on the AT's.

I found one, saying the bass was really overpowering.
However, the user wasn't used to them and they hadn't burnt in yet. When you get 'em, try to make 'em play for about 100 hours of various music, pretty loud. This will help the diaphragm smoothen and bass response, especially, should be more precise.

I heard they benefit from a dedicated headphone amp too. Never had one, never tried.

I have a set of akg k240's (monitor version).....love them. Great response imho. The bass is quite clear, but not hyped. Ive used the hd-280's before and liked them, but when I tried to mix with them I always ended up cutting too many mids.

Just keep an eye out on ebay. Got my K240's for like $30!

I've heard loads of good things about ATHM50's, gonna be getting a pair in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Also interested to hear any experiences on HD25's too, as I was looking at them a while back. I love Sennheiser stuff.

True. They cost a lot though but apparently they're really really flat.

Well...flat enough I suppose for 133 euros.
If you want a flatter response then probably need to spend a little more but I think they're pretty much industry standard .
Probably many of your fav albums were mixed with these or at least the DT 100's .

Well...flat enough I suppose for 133 euros.
If you want a flatter response then probably need to spend a little more but I think they're pretty much industry standard .
Probably many of your fav albums were mixed with these or at least the DT 100's .

I suppose headphones weren't really used a lot in the mixing process. :/
And the industry standard AFAIK is lower :(, like Sony MDR-V6 or Senn HD-280 Pro or AKG K 240.

I could very well be wrong though!

I suppose headphones weren't really used a lot in the mixing process. :/
And the industry standard AFAIK is lower :(, like Sony MDR-V6 or Senn HD-280 Pro or AKG K 240.

I could very well be wrong though!

Perhaps your right I think you make a good point about mixes done with headphones .
Its not how the pro's like to work.

DT100s are seriously lacking bass in my experience, although they do have a good midrange
DT150s address this to an extent and are better, but money would be better spent on a pair of ATH M-50s if the ATH910 pros are anything to go by

Me and quite a few other people, most with serious AE experience all agreed that the ATH910 pros were better than DT100s and on a par with the DT150s. The DT150s seemed to have a more detailed midrange where the ATH910 pros had a better overall balanced sound

I'm going to go around looking for the ATH-M50's next week. I'm not sure if I can listen to any Beyerdynamics around here, but I'll look for them too. At the moment I feel like I'm probably going for the ATH-M50's. :) Thanks for all your help!

How do you guys burn in your headphones? Do you leave them on the desk playing random music at a moderately loud levels for hours before you try to use them, or do you just use them until they get better and better?

Speaking of burning in, I'm not sure if monitor speakers require the same thing, but I think my Rubicons sound better now than ever. I think I hear more details than ever before and when I'm listening to some music I feel like the band is actually there in front of me when I close my eyes. I felt that way only about Genelecs before. These obviously can't be as good but fuck, I don't think I'll sell these monitors no matter how high-end my next ones would be.

Ended up getting the ATH-M50's, they arrived today with a bunch of other things.

Holy fucking shit these cans sound amazing... Especially when considering I've only used them for ten minutes. I'm a noob when it comes to headphones, but right now, I feel I can hear anything with these.

Thank you for your recommendations everyone!