Hearse - Armageddon, Mon Amour

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Hearse - Armageddon, Mon Amour
Candlelight Records - 2004
By Adam McAuley

hearse.jpg

One of the projects Johan Liiva is involved with, Hearse are quite an ambiguity. First impressions led me on different trains of thought. Is it traditional metal? Is it death metal? Is it progressive metal? Well, after a while I determined that the band belonged in the melodic death genre, not to be confused with melo-death.

There are many other elements in their music, however. There's certainly an aspect of the band's sound that has nods to earlier traditional metal. One can see a psychadelic element as well that reminds me of what Amorphis was starting to experiment with circa Elegy. It's the combination of these ideas that prevents the band from ever stepping into the realms of genericism and makes them such a thoroughly enjoyable entity.

The first two songs were disorienting and led me to try and classify Hearse. By the third track, "Crops of Waste", however, they had delved fully into their wandering tendencies and begun to impress me even more. Midway along the disc I lost count of the songs, when their most notable moment broke forth. "Play Without Rules" has an excellent standout break midway through, which brings progressive rock at its most adventurous to mind. The title track is chilling and atmospheric, with bell tolls ringing over epic soundscapes.

Flaws? I'm not too fond of Liiva's vocals; I suppose they're an acquired taste. The music itself isn't incredibly spectacular, but it's varied enough to maintain your interest numerous times throughout. Overall, a very enjoyable piece of work.

8/10

Candlelight Records’ Official Website
Hearse’s Official Website

I was really pleasantly suprised by this one. It's a great mixture of styles and influences but HEAVY all the way through. In fact, I liked this much more than Arch Enemy's overrated last album. People talk about how tough Angela sounds, but she can't hold a candle to some of Johan's guttural roars!

One of my favorites this year, along with Lunaris, Blut Aus Nord and Ewigkeit!