My thoughts on a few newer releases . . .

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Lilitu - The Delores Lesion
*Quite excellent. Yes, it is melodic death of some sort, but it is at least original. I'd put them somewhere between Nevermore and At The Gates. Oh . . . and TER also gave me one of Lilitu's older releases for free (The Earth Gods).

Hearse - Armageddon Mon Amour
*Awesome melodic death-n-roll. Sort of like old Entomed meets Iron Maiden. I actually think this is one of the best melodic death albums I've heard in a LONG time. 9/10 from me . . . Terrorizer gave it the same.

Psyopus - Ideas of Reference
*Sick, technical, noisecore. Dillinger Escape Plan meets Meshuggah meets Eddie Van Halen.

These Arms Are Snakes - The Lion sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home
*Stupid album title, excellent progressive hardcore/rock. J. knows what's up, yo.

Shadows Fall - The War Within
*Number 20 on the Billboard top 40. Interesting . . . I didn't know they were that popular.

Nate The Great said:
Lilitu - The Delores Lesion
*Quite excellent. Yes, it is melodic death of some sort, but it is at least original. I'd put them somewhere between Nevermore and At The Gates.
I really like the clean vocals on this. The death vox are so-so, but the clean vocals remind me a little of Mike Patton. Obviously the greatest thing though is the melodies - just really well thought out song structures.

Nate The Great said:
These Arms Are Snakes - The Lion sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home
*Stupid album title, excellent progressive hardcore/rock. J. knows what's up, yo.

Does it sound anything like "This is Meant to Hurt You"; their first output, I'm assuming?

I agree with Jay, the death vocals are one of the weak points on the Lilitu album, hopefully their next release will have less traces of melodic death, though a song like Only The End.. is as good as any Gothenclone (which they aren't) can get.