Decibel Magazine Top 40 of 2004

Noxagt is a Norwegian three piece that creates pretty cool, heavy, weird and intense music. Check out the link for audio clips.

http://www.noxagt.com/site/?q=taxonomy/view/or/17

The Blood Brothers: Hardcore/punk/mathcore crossover. I enjoy some tracks from their "This Adultry Is Ripe" and "Burn, Piano Island, Burn!" albums, but I haven't heard their 2004 effort. Check them out if you like Dillinger Escape Plan.

BWD:

7. PsyOpus - Ideas of Reference
Most technical metal bands just want you to think they're out of their minds. PsyOpus guitarist Chris Arp goes a step further. He wrote significant chunks of 'Ideas of Reference' in his head, so now you can actually hear how fucking crazy he is.

That was the Decibel Magazine reason for including that release in their to 40. I have PsyOpus, and I can tell you it will only appeal to fans of Dillinger Escape Plan, Meshuggah, and possibly people that wish Watchmaker played VERY fucked-up, technical metal. I like the album a lot, but it is so harsh I can't listen to it for very long.

You might be down with these two:

10. Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral
The Echoplex, a massive tape-loop and effects box, allows "Sir" Noel Harmonson to blanket the compositions with all sorts of demonic feedback on this Santa Cruz quintet's third full-length. Your dad wishes he got stoned to psych rock records this good.

13. Planes Mistaken for Stars - Up in Them Guts
Plans Mistaken for Stars might still be flying under the radar of the uninitiated. But 'Up in Them Guts' finds the Denver-based quartet deploying enough atmospheric firepower to keep even the dead awake at night.

BWD, give me your email address if you want a song from Mono, courtesy lizard. They totally rock. Oh yeah, I need your mailing address for Elend as well.

I listened to Isis last night and I must say my enthusiasm for this album has dropped A LOT.

JayKeeley said:
Interesting - what's different now?
I dunno really, but when I listened to it last night it was just so blah to me, other groups do what they do a lot better. I'll try it when I'm wide awake next time, it might have just been a fluke.

One Inch Man said:
s_romanowski_i.jpg

Whoa, he's a Bronco now? I haven't been keeping up with foosball AT ALL this year.

What the!? I just know him from the Raider days, whatever. Hated the Broncos back then, still hate the Raiders. :Spin:

First several times I listened to it I REALLY liked it, but last night was the first time in about a month, and it didn't do anything for me. I'll check back with you when I listen to it again, in hopes to revoke my raging homo status.

Two completely unoriginal observations: 1. Mono is one band that realizes that rock is half of post-rock. 2. Bands like Shadows Fail and Shitswitch Bengay are the reason why -core has a mostly (devotees would say totally) undeserved reputation as the new nu-metal...

Hello, I like to smoke crack, and Isis is not blah at all. There are better albums like this though, but not a whole lot.

Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Mar de Grises - The Tieradrtardrom Exporjr

Yeah obviously these are pretty high calibre releases.