2004 Terrorizer Writers Poll (top 40)

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I found this on another website, so I'm not 100% sure it is correct. But I think it probably is. I think the list is the best of any magazine or webzine that I've seen. Of course I think Terrorizer is pretty good with most everything they do. Feel free to bash it all to hell anyway.

40 Tsjuder - Desert Northern Hell
39 Electric Wizard - We Live
38 Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind
37 Witchcraft - Witchcraft
36 Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath
35 Elend - Sunwar The Dead
34 Sunn 0)))
33 Behemoth - Demigod
32 Ministry - Houses Of The Mole
31 Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
30 My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness : Worlds Of Light
29 Deathspell Omega - si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
28 The Haunted - rEVOLVEr
27 Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
26 Nattefrost - Blood And Vomit
25 Krieg - The Black Horse
24 The Hidden Hand - Mother Teacher Destroyer
23 Red Harvest - Internal Punishment Programs
22 Arkhon Infaustus - Perdition Insanabilis
21 Einstürzende Neubaten
20 Nasum - Shift
19 Leviathan - Tentacles Of Whorror
18 Orphaned Land - Mabool
17 Old Man Gloom - Christmas
16 Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer
15 Textures - Polars
14 Jesu - Heartbreak
13 Motorhead - Inferno
12 Converge - You Fail Me
11 Cult Of Luna - Salvation
10 Isis - Panopticon
9 Anaal Nathrakh - Domine Non Es Dignus
8 Watain - Casus Luciferi
7 Esoteric - Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum
6 The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
5 Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
4 Enslaved - Isa
3 Meshuggah - I
2 Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm
1 Mastodon - Leviathan.

Some good stuff in there.

Old Man Gloom - Christmas

I really fucking need to hear them shitz, finally got back around to Meditations in B and it just DESTROYS me. Does Christmas compare with respect to heaping amounts of asskickery?

One Inch Man said:
Some good stuff in there.

Old Man Gloom - Christmas

I really fucking need to hear them shitz, finally got back around to Meditations in B and it just DESTROYS me. Does Christmas compare with respect to heaping amounts of asskickery?

Meditations in B is a BIG step down from Volume II, Volume III, and Christmas. In other words, it would be much worth your time to get Christmas . . . and Volume II and Volume III. Those 3 albums are absolutely essential for progged out doomy shit freaks.

Nate The Great said:
Meditations in B is a BIG step down from Volume II, Volume III, and Christmas. In other words, it would be much worth your time to get Christmas . . . and Volume II and Volume III. Those 3 albums are absolutely essential for progged out doomy shit freaks.
Okay that's what I thought that MiB wasn't their best. Damn, I need me some more OMG OMG!

I disagree with the top spot, Panopticon was the widespread underground release of the year to me (didn't make my own top 10, foolishly).

OMG - christmas should be at the top of the list

and withcraft much higher up

pshaw! seems like they just pulled them at random out of a hat

how many years in a row did that BLut Aus Nord album come out?

Man, Terrorizer is a HUGE fan of the American -core sound and it's close brethren with Isis, Neurosis, Mastodon, and DEP all in the top 10. Hell, if you count the top 12, half of them are -core and and it's brothers.

I know people complain about the whole original release date thing, but what the hell is the point of having European and American release dates so far apart? Albums like the new Behemoth and Bloodbath have been out for months overseas.

Which is why people should go buy the European release dates to avoid confusion. If it's released, it's released, regardless of where you live and the ease and cost of purchasing it.

there is honestly not one CD on that list that I'm dying to hear. Though I'm curious about Jesu simply because all the hype.

Typical label politics, it's all fucking bullshit.

Hey Island/Def Jam, how about releasing that Unida album that you've been SITTING ON FOR 3 YEARS hmmmmm??? :yell:

One Inch Man said:
Typical label politics, it's all fucking bullshit.

Hey Island/Def Jam, how about releasing that Unida album that you've been SITTING ON FOR 3 YEARS hmmmmm??? :yell:

ha! that things NEVER gonna be released

weren't they selling cd-r's of it at shows at one point??

Demilich said:
I was happier with that list when i thought the top was the bottom

Amen.

Terrorizer just need to split metal vs. non-metal and they'll have two really decent lists. Case in point: there is just no way in hell that Orphaned Land should come in at #18 after a bunch of non-metal releases. o_O

And yes, by metal, I mean when metal = metal, not -core. :p

And what a HUUUUGE surprise that Mastodon came in at the top spot. :tickled:

I have no magazine out there that suits my needs. Terrorizer is too -core and BWBK is too traditional. There isn't anything in between (in print). I would have said Lamentations but that bit the bullet, so at the end of the day, the best place for music recommendations? This place.

JayKeeley said:
Amen.

Terrorizer just need to split metal vs. non-metal and they'll have two really decent lists. Case in point: there is just no way in hell that Orphaned Land should come in at #18 after a bunch of non-metal releases. o_O

And yes, by metal, I mean when metal = metal, not -core. :p

And what a HUUUUGE surprise that Mastodon came in at the top spot. :tickled:

I have no magazine out there that suits my needs. Terrorizer is too -core and BWBK is too traditional. There isn't anything in between (in print). I would have said Lamentations but that bit the bullet, so at the end of the day, the best place for music recommendations? This place.

Even though I totally disagree that Terrorizer doesn't cover enough metal, I very much agree that by simply coming to this forum I can easily find out information on pretty much any release out there as well as several hundred I've never heard.