2004 Terrorizer Writers Poll (top 40)

Chromatose said:
ha! that things NEVER gonna be released

weren't they selling cd-r's of it at shows at one point??
Yeah it'll never come out. Thank you eMule. :cool:
JayKeeley said:
And yes, by metal, I mean when metal = metal, not -core. :p
Neurosis, Isis, Meshuggah, and DEP are so far beyond metal I can't even comprehend it. They make your Priests and Maidens sound like AOR! :Spin:

I do think Terrorizer cover metal (they are the ONLY publication to have done a feature on RUDRA), I just think they have an obvious bias towards -core, and so it doesn't meet my needs entirely.

As for you, Nate, I've said on many occasion, you should apply for a full time gig!

JayKeeley said:
so at the end of the day, the best place for music recommendations? This place.
Absolutely. I rarely even bother with reviews unless someone posts them here.

Well yeah, I never buy metal magazines anymore. And with each passing day it is being accepted that -core and metal has ties that will not be broken. Almost all metal magazines have -core coverage like Terrorizer and Unrestrained.

But when Terrorizer compiles those list, they pretty much cover all forms of "extreme" music. If you read the cover, it says "The World's #1 Magazine in Extreme Music", not "The World's #1 Leader in Metal."

And you can't argue that a lot of -core isn't extreme. I mean hell, one year Radiohead's "Kid A" made it into the Terrorizer top 40.

The -core bias is obvious from their choices, but they are also adept at recognizing the innovative releases in all their genres (and semi-obscure ones like Elend and Textures, the latter 2003 but what the hell), and six of their top 20 appeared on my own list. And I believe there's only one UK act in the top ten... :)

JayKeeley said:
I have no magazine out there that suits my needs. Terrorizer is too -core and BWBK is too traditional. There isn't anything in between (in print). I would have said Lamentations but that bit the bullet, so at the end of the day, the best place for music recommendations? This place.

Have you read Unrestrained! from Toronto? Seems to include some of both metal and -core, though I only have 1 issue.

http://www.unrestrainedmag.com

Its a damn good list; as much as I hate lists, I would totally agree with everyone of those 40 albums that made it--and I really dont think their order is all too important. I have to say I would add that Deathspell Omega--I didnt notice it.

I noticed Textures 'Polars' appeared at #15 on this list. How many of you guys have heard them? They are sort of like Meshuggah with clean progged-out parts at times. They really are VERY good. If you like Frantic Bleep, you would probably like Textures. I do think Frantic Bleep is even better, though. Textures is a little more prog, I guess.

Here's some samples:

http://www.texturesband.com/mp3/Textures-Swandive.mp3

http://www.texturesband.com/mp3/Textures-Polars.mp3

http://www.texturesband.com/mp3/Textures-YoungMan.mp3

This list made me pull out (haha, I said "pull out") OMG Seminar II and III. Yeah, both of those rock hard (haha, "rock hard"). Christmas hasn't really clicked with me quite yet, but Zozobra kicks dat ass.

Nate The Great said:
37 Witchcraft - Witchcraft
36 Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath
34 Sunn 0)))
33 Behemoth - Demigod
31 Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
30 My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness : Worlds Of Light
29 Deathspell Omega - si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
28 The Haunted - rEVOLVEr
27 Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
25 Krieg - The Black Horse <- "Horse"?? :loco:
24 The Hidden Hand - Mother Teacher Destroyer
19 Leviathan - Tentacles Of Whorror
18 Orphaned Land - Mabool
10 Isis - Panopticon
7 Esoteric - Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum
5 Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
4 Enslaved - Isa
1 Mastodon - Leviathan.

I own 18 out of the 40. Not bad I suppose. With that said, I can live without Mastodon and The Haunted.

I never disliked it, I just thought that the vocal style was annoying. I can't deny the music but I just wish the guy wouldn't use that vocal box on every line. Man, otherwise it would be pretty glorious.

Nate The Great said:
23 Red Harvest - Internal Punishment Programs
17 Old Man Gloom - Christmas
11 Cult Of Luna - Salvation
10 Isis - Panopticon
7 Esoteric - Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum
4 Enslaved - Isa
2 Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm
1 Mastodon - Leviathan.

That's all I own. Not even 25% of Terrorizer's list.

them shitz said:
34 Sunn 0)))
33 Behemoth - Demigod
29 Deathspell Omega - si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
10 Isis - Panopticon
6 The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
5 Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
1 Mastodon - Leviathan.
This is all I've heard. DEP and Isis should've made my top 10, and BAN did, so there.

One Incher: Your life depends on you hearing Meshuggah 'I'. It is a 20-something minute EP . . . one song . . . Terrorizer still felt it deserved #3 . . . enough said . . . it is nothing short of BRILLIANT . . . seriously . . . buy it or I won't ever stop with the elipses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .