17) Melechesh - Sphynx
18) Therapy? - High Anixety
19) Sunn 0))) - White1
20) Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
21) Neurosis and Jarboe - Neurosis & Jarboe
22) Aborym - With No Human Intervention
23) Palehorse - Gee, Ain't Swell
24) Tomahawk - Mit Gas
25) Anaal Nathrakh - When Fire Rains Down From the Sky, Mankind Will Reap What It has Sown
26) Every Time I Die - Hot Damm
27) Laibach - Wat
28) Revenge - Triumph Genocide Antichrist
29) The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Cromatorium
30) Twisted Tower Dire - Crest of the Martyrs
31) Place of Skulls - With Vision
32) Melt Banana - Cell Scape
33) While Heaven Wept - Of Empires Forlorn
34) Mistress - II:The Chronovisor
35) Pelican - Australasia
36) Elend - Winds Devouring Men
37) Arkhon Infaustus - Filth Catalyst
38) Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island Burn
39) Deftones - Deftones
40) Hatebreed - The Rise of brutality

Surprise, surprise. An English got the top spot. But where the hell is Mithras if it was the best album "ever" by an English band?

Yeah, where the heck is Mithras? I figured it would be between Mithras and Ackercocke for the #1 spot, but I thought both of them would be at least in the top 5.

Not surprised at Opeth, *very* surprised at Iron Maiden making it into the top 5. Good for them.

I probably have about 10 of those, but RC received several more of those as promos that got distributed around the team.

What else is there to read though? I ask that seriously, cos if you guys know of a better publication then tell me! The Pit is shit, Unrestrained is ok but it comes out 2 months too late, and BW&BK is just pages full of ads and single paragraph reviews that tell you nothing.

At least Terrorizer seems to be ahead of the pack when it comes to writing articles on future releases/bands etc. And their reviews are reasonably in-depth.

Terrorizer has lost its appeal, in my opinion. A lot of what they review nowadays isn't even metal, or extreme. The Mars Volta? heard some songs from that and it was simply dreadful.

JayKeeley said:
What else is there to read though? I ask that seriously, cos if you guys know of a better publication then tell me! The Pit is shit, Unrestrained is ok but it comes out 2 months too late, and BW&BK is just pages full of ads and single paragraph reviews that tell you nothing.
I stick with online zines now. And youcan't complain about Unrestrained's lateness, when Terrorizer is always late (or never even shows up) itself.

Dreamlord said:
I stick with online zines now. And youcan't complain about Unrestrained's lateness, when Terrorizer is always late (or never even shows up) itself.
Actually, I meant the information is old. Unrestrained seems like it comes out once a quarter, and had Darkthrone on their cover 3 months after the release of "Hate Them". Compare that with Terrorizer who synchronized the release dates of, say, Exodus and Probot with their front page features. It just shows better diligence to me.

Actually, if you're in the UK, Terrorizer are probably ahead of the game since we get it late in the US.

All the up-to-date information is on the web these days anyway, but reading mags on the 'gentleman's throne' is a god given right!

All those magazines are always in Barnes and Noble, though. Never seemed to have the problem of them not being available...

I just remember a 3-4 month period where the US didn't receive Terrorizer at all. Coincidentally, this was a few months after 9/11.

I just figure, anything that I can read in Terrorizer, I can read on the net.

Plus it's $6.66+tax which makes it over $7 for a magazine!!!! And there aren't even any boobs!

I read books on the throne, right now The Dark Tower series.

Dreamlord said:
3) Darkthrone - Hate Them
6) Ephel Duath - The Painters Palette
9) Opeth - Dammnation
10) Khanate - Things Viral
14) Burnt by the sun - The Perfect Are the Enemy of the Good
19) Sunn 0))) - White1
20) Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
22) Aborym - With No Human Intervention
24) Tomahawk - Mit Gas
These are the ones I have. Sunn 0))) sould have been part of my top 5 if I would have heard it early enough, and the lack of Mithras is especially weird given their knob slob review of that album.

Honestly, everyone around here says Terrorizer is the best metal rag, and the two issues I have are crap (I haven't bought a metal rag in 10 years before these two). Why are webzines so much better than the shit that you have to pay for?

I read Playboy, 4WD & Offroad, and National Geographic on the throne. I've tried to read books a few times, but I just sit on the crapper for 20 minutes after I'm done. Oops.

I just don't read music magazines at all anymore, I find them all to be terrible. Online is the only way to go.

JayKeeley said:
All the up-to-date information is on the web these days anyway, but reading mags on the 'gentleman's throne' is a god given right!
That's where subscriptions to New Scientist and Fangoria come in for me! :)

Dreamlord said:
4) Axis of Perdition - The Ichnuemmon Method
5) Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

Surprise, surprise. An English got the top spot. But where the hell is Mithras if it was the best album "ever" by an English band?

These are the only two I have, and I have to say that the AOP disc is overrated. Only three good songs on there, and one of them is that spoken-word Lovecraft piece.

This is the first time in quite a few years that the top spot went to an English band. 2003 was actually a fairly weak year for "original" metal. So the Terrorizer list isn't all that bad . . . considering.

It should be noted that Goatsblood and Watchmaker weren't released in the UK until 2004.

Also . . . with the coming return of Jon Selzer, Terrorizer will hopefully start to go back to their old ways. Not that the current mag is all that bad. It's barely any different.

I'm not familiar with half the releases on that list, for me the only ones that justify their high standing are Enslaved and Ephel Duath...as for Mithras' exclusion, that must be either a way of disspelling their own hype or a similarly convenient oversight...