HEAVEN SHALL BURN covering Blind Guardian?

To make a long story short.... my experience with vegans has been 100% negative (I truly mean 100%). Not saying everyone in that demographics is a pretentious douchebag (like the ones I've encountered), but that's what I have encountered unfortunately. So when I hear of that being incorporated into metal, I can't help but to react.

Trust me, it goes both ways. I've been vegan 17 years and you can' imagine all the comments I get from people that eat dead animals. Everything from where do you get your protein to what about the plants? There are ignorant people on both sides. I am very proud to be vegan straight edge and do wear shirts and have the tattoos but I'm far from pretentious, hell besides me fiance I don't have another vegan friend.

I will stop with this conversation just because this is a music forum and this last paragraph had nothing to do with music.

I do still really enjoy Heaven Shall Burn musically/lyrically though.

Anyway, let's not get away from the point that Heaven Shall Burn is a shit band.

I completely disagree as HSB are an great german metalcore band and always have been. Like Maroon, Liar and Caliban.

and yes, I have signed MANY straight edge bands who happen to be vegans.

I do think it's funny for people who like Power Metal to be criticizing another genre's lyrics as silly. Not your thing? Sure, but far from silly when straight edge bands say things like:

Street by street. Block by block. Taking it all back.
The youth immersed in poison - turn the tide counterattack.
Violence against violence, let the roundups begin.
A firestorm to purify the bane that society drowns in.
No mercy, no exceptions, a declaration of total war.
The innocent's defense is the reason it's waged for."

Yes, they mean to destroy those not like them, metaphorically speaking. It gets no more tough or metal than wanting to destroy your opposition. Pretty sure AMON AMARTH and Viking metal have made a career on that subject.

Also, I will guess that most of the people on this forum only know of the metalcore that was already played out, kind of like how new Power Metal bands today are beating the corpse of a long dead horse. BUT, early metalcore was forging a new path and taking the best parts of metal and mixing it with hardcore to great results. If bands like Killswitch Engage, Whitechapel and As I Lay Dying are the first bands that come to your mind when someone says metalcore, well you are then talking about bands beating a dead horse and not innovators of the genre. (KSE could be argued however)

Early metalcore, ExC included, also sounds absolutely nothing like your Whitechapels or your As I Lay Dyings. That's like saying "LOL MAKING FUN OF METAL CAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE CANNIBAL CORPSE? WELL BLACK SABBATH DID IT FIRST!!!" They share little in common aside from the name...

Yet you're still willing to say that Deadguy sounds like Bullet for My Valentine? As I Lay Dying is just riding the coattails of the Earth Crisis sound? Come on...

Venom is Black Metal. So is Deathspell Omega. But realistically, the two sound absolutely nothing alike and only really share the name and the culture (even that's debatable).

All that aside, I completely agree with you on your lyrical points.

I REALLY respect how polite Matt is being to you dcowboys...

To quote Glen, I would certainly retort using my "dickish way with words"

I understand exactly what you are saying, but to Matt's point, your opinion of the genre stems from the more mainstream bands who are simply following something which was once considered more original.

For most genres of music, the innovators did it best.
That's Matt's point, esp since to most around here their first exposure to metalcore was from the more poser-ish looking bands.....

Not pulling rank, but us older guys lived through it, and esp here in Chicago I witnessed the waves many of the early Victory Records bands made in both the hardcore and metal scenes.

Completely unrelated to THIS topic, but since you brought it up, ugh....
I go SO back and forth on tagging VENOM as "Black Metal"
From an aesthetic perspective and lyrically, absolutely!!!
Though musically, they are full on a punk / NWOBHM hybrid.

Though, that;s a whole other discussion in itself!!!! :)

I think the REAL point of this thread is how impactful Blind Guardian is to heavy music that bands you wouldn't expect to be influenced by them, are in fact, influenced enough by them to pay them homage. But of course, it has to turn into a pissing contest between who has the most metal cred, including the classic old hat - name dropping bands nobody cares about and have nothing to do with the discussion.

I REALLY respect how polite Matt is being to you dcowboys...

To quote Glen, I would certainly retort using my "dickish way with words"

I understand exactly what you are saying, but to Matt's point, your opinion of the genre stems from the more mainstream bands who are simply following something which was once considered more original.

For most genres of music, the innovators did it best.
That's Matt's point, esp since to most around here their first exposure to metalcore was from the more poser-ish looking bands.....

Not pulling rank, but us older guys lived through it, and esp here in Chicago I witnessed the waves many of the early Victory Records bands made in both the hardcore and metal scenes.

Completely unrelated to THIS topic, but since you brought it up, ugh....
I go SO back and forth on tagging VENOM as "Black Metal"
From an aesthetic perspective and lyrically, absolutely!!!
Though musically, they are full on a punk / NWOBHM hybrid.

Though, that;s a whole other discussion in itself!!!! :)

quality post. srs.

Yes that's correct, I have a sense of humor and find that line hilarious. By the way, I find it hysterical that metal dorks get so repulsed over that lyric and then listen to bands called Goatpenis (and take them seriously, no less). It's like they actively want to be hypocrites or something.

tumblr_me2vvutzgU1qdpyne.jpg

Earth Crisis and the Victory era is the second wave of metalcore. Suicidal, DRI, Leeway, Cro-Mags and Agnostic, etc are the first wave. Yes, Jason the current crop are nowhere near as good as the old waves. The new wave either rips off dumbed down Cannibal riffs and try to mimic At The Gates. It's lowest common denominator shit.