Heavy Pop-Punk style band/mix, FYS, The Wonder Years, etc.

blueax

Jul 17, 2009
Michigan
www.myspace.com
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2208210/KK-IsADeadMan2.mp3

Steven Slate drums (with actual real recorded cymbals), EMGs/LTD guitars into Mark IV with 4x12 rectifier cabinet. DI bass can't remember, some sort of Fender Mustang if I recall correctly. These guys came and did a full length of this stuff in 3 days... 3 days!! I didn't think it was gonna be enough time but they were convinced they could do it, and lo and behold, it happened... check it out.

edit: another song: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2208210/4. KK-Not50.mp3

Sounds real good man! Snare could come down a little but I can't see much else up with it

Info on vox? Much tuning needed?

Also, whats the band? Sounds awesome!

Thanks dude.. can't deny I always want the snare to just PUNCH HARD!... maybe too much, haha. I couldn't find a good way to make the song fade out at the end, that's my main concern, but maybe that is nitpicking.

The vox are all a Rode NT2A. Great mic, I use it for overheads too, but I'm hoping to upgrade soon. I gave it "the treatment" as far as tuning goes... but honestly, it was quite good dry. The backups/harmonies were a little more rough because it was at the end of a 12 hour day and we were on a time constriction... to say the least.

They are called Knockout Kid. I am just finishing up mixing all 11 songs in these next few days. http://www.myspace.com/theknockoutkids (there's a different song on their Myspace there).

Cheers dude! Yeah the NT2A is a really nice mic. Nice on acoustics too!

This band rule haha really like them. Did you do the track on the myspace too?

Dual tracked guitars?

Yep, I did the one on the Myspace too, it is a little older (couple weeks) and I have reworked it a bit since then, but it's pretty close to what I'm doing with the rest of the tracks. Hmm... dual tracked, as in one left and one right? If so, yep, no quad tracking or anything like that. There are some layers though on each tune-- the one I posted on here has 2 leads kind of slightly panned during the chorus (harmonizing).

I also used 2 mics when re-amping, on different speakers in the cab, a 57 and a 609, and mixed them together (mostly 57). Haha yeah... I have kind of a limited mic selection so the Rode/s get used on pretty much anything I need a condenser on. I have a few other SDC's for room mics/ride/china/etc., though.

Yeah man for sure... I was really impressed and happy when these guys came, I thought it was gonna be a bunch of filler but pretty much every song on the album is really solid.

Sounds good. One thing I might add is the guitars almost sound a little too heavy for this type of band. Personally, I might have explored a bit less gain overall.

Oh and I wouldn't bring that snare down at all. Sounds great to me.

IMO the overhead is slightly bright and quite high in level.
The snare sounds fine to me. Good job!!

I don't know how we did it in 3 days, but we did. Long days, but these guys got a lot of stuff down in very few takes. A band that actually has their shit practiced and down...?! It was a sight to see! ;)

I thought the same thing about the guitars (in advance) at first since they came with guitars that had EMGs. I think I'm comfortable enough with the tone at this point, the band seems to dig it, but I definitely hear where you are coming from. Not sure I feel like re-amping all the songs again either... haha.

One of my references was the newest Four Year Strong album, and what's interesting is the overheads on that album are very bright (or maybe the whole mixes)-- so I tried SLIGHTLY to get it in that range-- first time I have boosted on overheads in a long time... and I think only 1db at 10k. That album sounds super clean to me... I really dig the sound of it for the genre of music and everything.

P.S. Thank you for the responses.

I really love the sound you've got going, nice work! Only problem I have with the second song is that the vocals seem a tad too loud, but I guess that's common in pop-punk (plus my ears are probably tired from mixing). And 3 days is insane, props to you and the band for making that happen so well!

Loving this stuff but maaaan you need more harmonies, WAY MORE! and way louder!

Material is awesome, guitar tone leaves a lot to be desired, though. Drums sound coolishly ambient despite being so sampled. Guitars are the biggest issue, just way too metal.

I'm all with Jeff on this one. What were you thinking for those guitars? They'd be great for Lamb of God, but not for this.

You must have had that 750hz slider down too far on the Mark IV. You need more mids, more articulation, and a bit more life to those guitars. As soon as you fix that, you're going to be left off with an awesome mix.

You must have had that 750hz slider down too far on the Mark IV. You need more mids, more articulation, and a bit more life to those guitars. As soon as you fix that, you're going to be left off with an awesome mix.

I don't know greg, I was doing some reamping today with a Mark IV and it just sounds sub-par to me no matter what the settings on the EQ. Maybe not fizz, but it just sounds hollow and plastic-y to me. It's an odd amp for sure.

But I've never heard a recording of a Mark IV that I enjoyed. DT systematic chaos, LoG killadelphia, etc. just sound weak to me. Sacrament dvd clearly showed they are using multiple amps and maybe not even the mark IV in the final mix.

am I the only one that likes the guitars? haha they actually remind me of the wonder years a lot, guitar tone at least.

I actually don't mind how the guitars sound, just a bit thin for some parts but it's not bad at all. I like the mix overall, its not super polished... sounds like a band is actually playing!

I personally don't think the guitars are incredibly out of line, either. Not like it's a metal guitar tone in a country or blues song, but understand where people are coming from. To me it was the EMGs that really had the biggest impact on the sound, of which wouldn't have been my first choice of pickup (But had no choice ;)). But hey, opinions! If the band digs it and a few people on here seem to dig it too then... it probably is working well in a stylistic sort of way, but all opinions and ears are worth somethin' for sure and it helps me look at the mixes in a different light, as well.

And for sure, iHate, it is not completely edited into oblivion 100% of the time-- drums are quantized and some guitar breakdown type parts were "perfected" here and there-- but these guys were tight, which I think transferred over quite well.