Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Hecate Enthroned-Redimus
Candlelight Records-CDL0148CD-2004
By Josh Phillips

redimus.jpg

Hecate Enthroned are a band I’ve been interested in exploring since I heard a song of theirs (“An Ode for a Haunted Wood”) on a compilation some time ago. Redimus gives me a chance to see what this band has to offer, and overall, I’m rather pleased.

Those who are familiar with Dimmu Borgir’s mid-era work, such as Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Spiritual Black Dimensions, will find some similarities here. There are prominent synth elements present that add effects here and there, similar to what was heard on songs such as “In Death’s Embrace” from the first album mentioned, though not quite as frequently used. There are also some beautiful keyboard elements fused into the songs such as the beginning of “As Fire.” After these items though, the similarities between the two bands begin to come to a close. Hecate Enthroned is much more aggressive than Dimmu Borgir, spitting flames at the listener when they choose to up the speed. High raspy vocals straight out of Hell race along with riffs of ripping speed and blasting drums. But this is not all the band has to offer. Serving up gorgeous acoustic passages at points in the album’s midsection and melodic leads throughout. There are low growls and death metal elements in quite a few tracks, such as “Headhunter” and some vocals, courtesy of Jason Mendonca (Akercocke), in “Redimus.” Slow passages can also be found and the tracks “As Fire” and “Morbeea” highlight the band’s ability to make great, haunting music at any speed. Spoken word sections also appear within these slower passages as part of a great variety of vocal attacks that keep things fresh. Variety is certainly key to this album and not only in the vocals, but also in the music. Constant pace changes in very well constructed songs offer a little something every metal fan should enjoy.

All in all, an excellent release from a band I should have investigated a long time ago. This is solid black metal (with death elements) that remains fresh over time. I listened through all 12 tracks numerous times back to back and enjoyed it every time. That is the mark of a rather excellent release and that is exactly what Hecate Enthroned has crafted with Redimus.

8.5/10

Official Hecate Enthroned Website
Official Candlelight USA Website
Official Blackend Records Website