circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Heimdall – Hard as Iron
Scarlet Records – 2004
By Jason Jordan

heimdall.jpg

Besides having an ugly mug for the cover of Hard as Iron, Heimdall don’t have much going for them. But, said cover does contain a skull; so, the album should automatically receive a 10, right?

“Hard as Iron,” the title track, has an all-too-familiar introduction that surely has been used before by myriad bands. The vocalizations – though not my favorite – are good and retain an operatic aura about them. Everything about the aforementioned tune feels very (intentionally) structured, and that actually deters from the experience a small amount. In other words, things seem too calculated. “Midnight” begins with ambient synths and awkward vocals to match. I really enjoyed the somber piano interlude at the 2:25 minute mark, however. “Moon – Red Light” utilizes succinct drumming for its intro, then mellow guitar and keyboard leads bring the song into full form. Heimdall fancy using deep, chanting vocals in the background for effect. When you reach “Black Tower,” you may begin to realize that every song – thus far – has been no less than five minutes each: the trend will continue sans the oh-so-short “Black Heaven” (3:59). “Cold” is one of the better tracks on the record due to its reliance on vox and beautiful, pleasing instrumentation. “The Emperor” enters the metal fray to offset the former piece. “Dark Home” is nothing special. “Black Heaven,” as cited earlier, is similar to “Cold.” “Holy Night,” the last song on Hard as Iron, is mercifully a reasonable exit for the group; the length and musicianship are just about right, in other words.

Heimdall don’t offer anything that hasn’t been presented prior. Some of you may like them anyway. Conversely, my reaction was notably less than lukewarm.

6.5/10

Official Heimdall website
Official Scarlet Records website