Heir Apparent - "One Small Voice" reissue!

It's about time this is showing up in some fashion.
The other Heir Apparent releases have been around for a while and are still fair easy to get, I carry them in my distro.
This band is not alone, there are many out there that were overlooked for one reason or another and need to be rediscovered like Hittman. As for these bands being unknown to most around these parts it does not seem unusual. I watch folks at the fest and over hear them and when I hear things coming from 40 year old guys about not know who Fates Warning is it certainly does not surprise me that some people may not know Heir Apparent, certainly not someone 25. Excluding the 25 year old I live with who she knows metal better than most people do, exception to every rule I guess.
Bitch stubbed me on House of Lords the other night.

I'm 29, and I first heard about this band when I was 19. I finally tracked down their albums when I was about 25. J. Golden was right about their discs other than "One Small Voice," as you can still find them at websites like Sentinel Steel. Their first album, "Graceful Inheritance," is considered an overlooked 80s gem. I think it's a good debut album for a band from 1986, but it doesn't even hold a candle to "One Small Voice." Other than those albums, they released a collection of demos and rehearsal tracks entitled "Triad." That one's available at Sentinel Steel, too.

Terry Gorle, the band's sole original member (who has been trying to keep a solid lineup together for years and continues to run the band's website), has an online shop where you can purchase these albums as well as rare live shows on DVD. He's had "remastered copies" of "One Small Voice" with bonus tracks for sale there for years now. Refusing to pay $125 for an original copy on Ebay, I opted to order one of his copies for a total of $22. After waiting nearly three months for him to send me my CD, I received it only to find that it was a CD-R with a photocopied booklet cover (not even the full booklet!). I was just a tad peeved, but at least I finally had the songs I had waited to hear for years. Of course, if I could have been patient for another four years, I could have a more legitimate copy with a bonus DVD! Being the sucker that I am, I'll be shelling out more cash to have the bigger and better package.

To touch on the subject that seems to have taken over this thread, I was in the same boat as Anubisaxe for almost seven years. I worked at a music store in the south suburbs of Chicago from March of 2000 to January of 2007, and I always encountered the questions of "Is this Queensryche?," no matter what I was playing. Some folks did actually get turned onto some stuff they otherwise would never have heard, which made me feel great. However, there would still be plenty of guys stuck in their own little world where nothing released in the realm of melodic metal before the grunge period is worth hearing. Anubisaxe, since we're on the subject, what's the name of the store where you work? I'm always happy to hear that these kind of places still exist.

I think I've ranted enough. For those who haven't heard "One Small Voice," you're seriously missing out. It's the Queensryche album the Queensryche wishes they made.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'm 29, and I first heard about this band when I was 19. I finally tracked down their albums when I was about 25. J. Golden was right about their discs other than "One Small Voice," as you can still find them at websites like Sentinel Steel. Their first album, "Graceful Inheritance," is considered an overlooked 80s gem. I think it's a good debut album for a band from 1986, but it doesn't even hold a candle to "One Small Voice." Other than those albums, they released a collection of demos and rehearsal tracks entitled "Triad." That one's available at Sentinel Steel, too.

yeah I usually stock them too, and offer free shipping just saying...

Terry Gorle, the band's sole original member (who has been trying to keep a solid lineup together for years and continues to run the band's website), has an online shop where you can purchase these albums as well as rare live shows on DVD. He's had "remastered copies" of "One Small Voice" with bonus tracks for sale there for years now. Refusing to pay $125 for an original copy on Ebay, I opted to order one of his copies for a total of $22. After waiting nearly three months for him to send me my CD, I received it only to find that it was a CD-R with a photocopied booklet cover (not even the full booklet!). I was just a tad peeved, but at least I finally had the songs I had waited to hear for years. Of course, if I could have been patient for another four years, I could have a more legitimate copy with a bonus DVD! Being the sucker that I am, I'll be shelling out more cash to have the bigger and better package.

I heard about this and yeah it would have really pissed me of, especially at that price. But bands or what left of them think they can do things themselves and that is what happens. Od course there are also those who know no better. I see this all the time with older bands and they sell their CD-rs on CDBaby, it's a joke really. Some of the bands like Banshee even goes as far as getting dupication factory done with packaging, still a CDR. But it is not uncommon.

I've had Heir Apparent on my "to buy" metal list for years....sadly I haven't gotten around to getting anything from them.

Can anyone tell me why bass playing/licks from this era are just so much more kick ass than anything nowadays? There's just something about the bass in this stuff and old Fates that just melts my heart...

Add me to the "Amazing album" list. Had this bad boy on cassette from back in the day.

Definitely for fans of Queensryche/early Alder Fates Warning. If Queensryche were to have done this one, it would have fit right in between Rage For Order and Operation:Mindcrime.

Great news! My original copy was on cassette...so I finally found "One Small Voice" on iTunes a few months ago. Will be interested to hear the feedback on the bonus tracks!

From www.melodicrock.com :
"Peter Orullian, best known in heavy metal circles as the voice of Heir Apparent during its highly successful 2006 reunion tour in Europe, will be singing for Fifth Angel at the Keep it True XIII festival in Lauda-Konlgshofen, Germany, on April 24. Orullian steps in for vocalist Tim Branom, who is not able to participate due to throat issues.
"It's really unfortunate what happened with Tim, as we've known him for years and he's a great singer and a great guy," said guitarist Ed Archer. "He had trouble talking in the mornings after rehearsals and became very concerned with his voice. Tim came up with the idea of using an alternate singer, but we were hesitant to do that until we realized he was right and things were not getting better. We decided to get another vocalist and quickly found Peter."
Orullian, a native of Salt Lake City, Utah, who currently resides in the Seattle area, received classical vocal training from the renowned late maestro David Kyle. In addition to his work with Heir Apparent, Orullian has released a number of CDs with various musicians throughout the year and is a recipient of the Private Eye Best Male Vocalist Award.
"Peter is really saving our ass here, as we were considering canceling our appearance," Archer revealed. "The human singing voice is really a tricky animal, and we all hope Tim gets better soon." Video footage of Orullian performing with Heir Apparent and more information on the vocalist can be found at www.orullian.com.
Fifth Angel will make its live debut at the Keep it True XIII festival in Lauda-Kanigshofen, Germany, on April 24. For more information on Fifth Angel, visit www.fifthangel.com and www.facebook.com/fifthangelofficial."

From www.melodicrock.com :
"Peter Orullian, best known in heavy metal circles as the voice of Heir Apparent during its highly successful 2006 reunion tour in Europe, will be singing for Fifth Angel at the Keep it True XIII festival in Lauda-Konlgshofen, Germany...(snip)
Orullian, a native of Salt Lake City, Utah...

Really!? hmmmm... it's a VERY small scene in SLC, and I don't think I know/met the guy when he lived here, I'll have to look him up and see if I can jog the ol' memory chip.

I am happy because I got the reissue in my hands. :)

The album sounds great with its new, developed sound and the DVD is good (although the picture is not very clear - but remember that the stuff came from a forgotten VHS tape).

A really worthy reissue. Remember that it's a limited edition of 2000 copies, so hurry up!