Hellhammer VS. Frost

Grumble Grumble

We die We all...
Oct 29, 2006
Saginaw,Michigan, USA
Seems the world is all over frost's balls, he is a pretty fantastic drummer, dont get me wrong but ive only heard him in 1349 and gorgoroth, but still solid drummer.

but holy christ hellhammer is quite fitting of his name, i love the man's skill.

well im a lil short on words atm so

discuss.......

Celtic Frost is easily one of the best metal bands ever.

Correction.....

Was.

And Van Williams is easily one of the best metal drummers.

Between these two, I would go with Hellhammer. I like a lot of projects that he's been a part of, so I guess you could say I'm biased.

I'll have to go with Hellhammer... dude has such a wide variety of styles, all of which enhance whatever album he plays on. Rather than simply "being there" as I think most drummers have a tendency to do, his playing really adds to the music.

See:

Hatefilled Groves on Shining- "Angst" and "The Eerie Cold"
Jazzy weirdness in Arcturus
and "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas," which is the most evil thing ever laid to tape.

Or, yeah... like any of the 1,000 other records he's played on.

I would say that Frost's performance on "Rebel Extravaganza" (one of the most criminally underrated/unique black metal albums ever) rivals any of Hellhammer's work, but yeah.. he pretty much plays in the same *BLAST BLAST BLAST* style on everything.

I have to say I appreciate Frost's stripped down cold groove on Now, Diabolical a lot too. Great how you can add so much groove/catchiness while playing so simple.

Ugh, I REALLY hated that album. It's a shame, because Volcano was great. Everything on Now, Diabolical was completely underwhelming, particularly the drumming.

I did like the one or two parts on that album that aped Shining's ambient weirdness, but that's about all.

Give me the last Thorns album (with Hellhammer on drums, no less!) over nu-Satyricon any day.