Helloween in Vegas....

txprog

Feb 22, 2006
So, a couple of months ago my son asked me if, for his 25th birthday present, I would take him and his older brother to see Helloween in Vegas. Now, these cats could easily have done this on their own, but since I was bank-rolling it and have been to Vegas 30+ plus times, it made sense for me to go too.

So, we landed in Vegas at about 2PM, rode the monorail, walked on the strip, visited a few hotels, had dinner, and wound up at Mandalay Bay for the show at the House of Blues about 6:45. Show started promptly at 8:30, ended at 11;15, and we are on plane back to Dallas at 1:30 AM.

Now, I spent the 80s complaining about the lack of good music and totally missed these guys but I am catching up now. Lots of great stuff, and we all know that these guys are the true Godfathers.

The show? Superlatives are easy and over-used, but this was indeed a GREAT rock concert. Lots of energy, great songs, and the guitar playing on the part of all four practitioners was very, very impressive.

I'm almost 60 and such events as these are getting more difficult, but I sure am glad I did this one. And glad I could do it for my sons.

Amazing show, I had a very tough decision to make - PPUSA days 3 and 4 or Helloween. While I know I missed a lot of cool stuff at PPUSA, I do not for a second regret getting on that plane in Atlanta at 8 am on Friday to go home and see a band I grew up with and worshipped almost from its inception. So much wondrous music and the fans were so with it. It was funny how few of us were from Vegas. Kinda like PPUSA - out-of-towners dominate.

I caught the Pumpkins United show in Worcester, Ma. last night. Amazing concert....absolutely fantastic. Kiske sounded really good, and it was terrific to hear him singing the classics, but man-oh-man is Deris a BEAST. That dudes voice is just balls-out power when he unleashes the fury. I was really thrilled to hear "Are You Metal?" live, but the highlight of the night for me was hearing Kiske, Deris and Kai Hansen crushing "How Many Tears"....power/speed metal at it's absolute best.

The only song I wish could've been in the set would've been "Gorgar", but hey, the show was still freakin' stellar.