__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Hellveto – Zmierzch
Dark Symphonies – Dark 25 – 21st March 2006
By Russell Garwood

hellveto.jpg

Poland’s Hellveto produce more albums per year than Portugal’s players dive in the course of an average soccer match. Well, that’s a bit of an exaggeration – few things, apart from conundrums from the world of theoretical mathematics, reach those heights – but Zmierzch is the band’s second release this year, following four in 2005, and two in 2004. Their brand of orchestral pagan black metal is somewhat removed from the true, raw as hell (and easy to produce quickly) sound I was expecting. Under slightly tinny production prominent symphonics, melodic guitars, surprisingly audible bass, and solid if simple drumming all squirm uncomfortably. All instruments are performed by L.O.N., who also provides varied vocals in the form of screams and rasps, all the way through to guttural growls.

The ten epic songs, while sometimes formulaic, have plenty of variation, and - considering this is all the work of one man – constitute an impressive effort. At times it does seem to suffer slightly from the composer’s high output; towards the end of Zmierzch the songs can begin to drag. This said, the songs are well-written, atmospheric, and for fans of the more accessible side of pagan black metal are likely to prove very welcome. A solid release.

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Dark Symphonies website

I've got a bunch of CDs from Dark Symphonies and I've loved every one, especially Maudlin of the Well. :) Great label! And they sold their CDs for $8 each, now that kicks butt. Haven't heard this release though so I may have to... well.... check it out, even though they release so many like you said, haha.... It would take forever to hear all that on dialup. :)