Help choosing a good pair of studio headphones

Dec 29, 2009
right now i'm thinking about selling my low range krk rockits 5 because the room where i am now is not conditioned even a little and my neighbors are fucking annoying about the ''noise'' when i have to crank up the volume( i live in a small room in an apartment i'm not in my home country for now)
thats why i have to get a good pair of studio headphones instead of my krk for mixing and that kind of stuff.
i'm between the ATH-M50S and The AKG K240..but its hard to choose the best option for me. what do you think? any other suggestions??

I really want to try these Denons he talks about.

I have been using the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's for years but they definitely lack lows and low mids that I NEED. My other choice before watching dave rat's test was those ATH-M50'
s you were talking about, seems like a well reviewed set of phones.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHkb4bhdnRA

I really want to try these Denons he talks about.

I have been using the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's for years but they definitely lack lows and low mids that I NEED. My other choice before watching dave rat's test was those ATH-M50'
s you were talking about, seems like a well reviewed set of phones.

+100
Really helpful video man
Thx

So if we tape Sennheiser mics to our headphones, they will be perfect? lol Would be a funny sight.

I made an ARC compensation for my Senn 280s, helped out quite a bit.

Try the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. They're really fucking good sounding, very detailled and a lot more comfortable than the AKGs.
I haven't tried the K-240s but own and like the AKG K-271 mkII phones. I still prefer the DT 990 Pros, though.
You should go to a store and listen to an album you really know before deciding which ones to get.

you should still keep your rockits even if you mix on cans because headphones will make the stereo image seem wider than it really is

I would keep the rockits & mix at a lower volume if it annoys your neighbors. Headphones are still awesome for checking low end, stereo image, general tone and other specific details. But there is no way I can ever get a mix to work the way I want it to with just using headphones.

That said, I love my ATH-M50 for all the other stuff.

Similar question: have any of you guys tried the new SHURE SRH 440 headphones? What do you think about it?

I have them for like 3-4 months now and I'm really disappointed with them. They are no where around flat response. They have a lot of treble, I mean a lot. I compared them to my friend's AKG K240 studio and they are like heaven and hell. Sound isolation is very good though, they might be good for vocal tracking. But I seriously consider selling mine.