Help Katagory V "Resurrect the Album!"

Met-Al

Oct 12, 2004
Hi, everyone!

My name is Albert, and I sing for the Salt Lake City-based progressive/power metal band Katagory V. I normally post on the ProgPower forum, but I want to spread the word about something that means the world to myself and my band.

For those of you who are not familiar with the us, you can learn all about the history of the band and find downloads of some of our songs from our previous four albums at www.katagory5.com. To briefly sum up our sound, I think we're best described as an amalgamation of the varying styles of melodic hard rock and metal, be they prog, power, AOR, traditional, and even a bit of tech and thrash. In fact, as a fan of Theocracy myself, I think anyone looking for some solid melodic power metal in a similar vein should check us out!

I come to you today to present an Indiegogo campaign to help us release our fifth album, "Resurrect the Insurgence." This marks the first album featuring the band's current lineup, and we truly believe that it's the strongest effort produced by any lineup of the group to date. The album was recorded, mixed, and mastered between the latter half of 2010 and the first half of 2011.

You may be wondering why an album that's been finished for three years has yet to be released. Unfortunately, to produce an album that meets the top standards of the current recording industry, a lot of money was invested in recording equipment and professional mixing and mastering services (provided by none other than Dennis Ward of Pink Cream 69 and Unisonic fame!).

This is why we need your help. All of the work on the recording end is finished. We just need to put the package together to present a professional looking project. We've set a goal of $5,000 to acquire professional artwork, a proper layout and booklet, pressing, and distribution of the album. As with all Indiegogo campaigns, we're offering what we think are some nice little perks for helping us to achieve our goal.

To give you a taste of what you can expect from your investment, we present two of the album's songs ("Far Too Long" and "I Am Change") for you to hear at www.reverbnation.com/katagoryv.

Those interested in learning more about the campaign can visit the link below:
www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-katagory-v-resurrect-the-latest-album-and-get-it-released

On behalf of the band, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. We're grateful for any support you can give. Even if you can't contribute financially (which we completely understand, given the current economic situation), you can help us a great deal by spreading the word via the forums and websites you frequently visit. I'll check back in periodically to answer any questions and offer status updates. Feel free to let us know what you think of the tunes, and thanks again for your time!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert
Lead Vocalist of Katagory V

Hi, folks!

I'm just checking in with an update on the campaign. Unfortunately,the first two weeks have been very slow. We've only raised roughly 11% of the funds that we need to make the release of our album a reality. We truly appreciate the contributions from those who have pitched in thus far, and we also appreciate the efforts made by those who have spread the word about the campaign on Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, and the various metal-related sites all over the web. We still have a long way to go, but we hope that with our combined efforts, the world will finally get to hear this album!

For those who are interested but haven't made a contribution yet, we've added a few more perks that may grab your interest. Aside from receiving the CD upon it's release, getting a bootleg DVD of the band's best performance to date, and taking lessons with our drummer and guitarist, you now also have the options of getting a drum head signed by the entire band, t-shirts from the releases of the past two albums, and even the band's entire discography to date! Yes, that even includes a copy of the long-out-of-print debut album, "Present Day!" There's even one absolutely ridiculous perk that you'll have to see to believe!

I'll check back in the coming weeks with another update. In the meantime, feel free to offer any feedback. Do you like the perks offered thus far? Is there anything you'd like to see us offer, and if so, what would you be willing to give to see it happen? Do you like the new material that we've released online? Do you think we should suck eggs? Let us know!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

It's great to see someone try this much for a band and I'd love for you to be able to make that release in the end, but it seems to me the goal is far from reaching so I gotta ask; did you contact any webzines or review sites? I'm guessing you have, so what's the situation with them helping you spread your message?

The reason I'm asking is I've never heard of your band, and that's all part of one big problem called lack of exposure.

Thank you for responding, Aletheus!

You're certainly right about the slow activity in raising funds. I was hoping we would have raised at least twice as much money as we did in the first two weeks.

My bassist, drummer, and I have been hitting the internet pretty hard in our spare time, but we really haven't had much luck. Since Blabbermouth is the number one source for heavy metal-related news in the United States, we submitted an article to them right away. Unfortunately, the editors of that site have become very selective of what they'll post. Whereas just about any independent band could have an article posted there as recently as three years ago, such is not the case today. Thankfully, Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles posted the article for us, but we know that they're not the only game in town, either.

Knowing that there are plenty of heavy metal fans around the world who may seek their news in languages other than English, I've been trying to look into heavy metal news sites based in other countries. So far, I've tried to reach out to a few webmasters in Greece and Italy to see if they would be willing to post our article on their sites. I even went so far as to use online translators to send them the messages in their native languages as well as English. However, I haven't received a response from any of them. The only luck we've had outside of our country is with a German website called Sacred Metal.

As for why you have never heard of the band before, the main reason is because we're very low on the heavy metal totem pole. One of the great things about meeting heavy metal fans is that each one can turn you onto at least one band that you've never heard before. As much as I enjoy Theocracy's music, I know that they're not exactly a household name. However, we just encountered each other through their forum. Just as you're now discovering my band and our music (and I'm hoping you're enjoying our music, by the way!), you could throw out a list of band names at me and end up introducing me to something that completely blows my mind.

If you like what you're hearing from the band, be it from the previous releases or the new songs that we've posted, I hope that you'll let others know about us. After all, without the exposure that we could use from metal news or review sites, we heavily rely on what we consider to be the best exposure: word of mouth!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Hey Al, best of luck with this venture. I've been seen you post on the ProgPower board for many years now and I know you're a respected contributor over there.

As I was reading your last message about your efforts, I was thinking that this kind of wide approach is unlikely to be nearly as effective as getting the message out in a targeted way to your fans (rather than broadly to all metal fans).

I went looking for your band's Facebook page and I couldn't find one. All I see is the generic auto-generated-by-FB page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Katagory-V/112516785428792). Am I missing it?

Hey Al, best of luck with this venture. I've been seen you post on the ProgPower board for many years now and I know you're a respected contributor over there.

As I was reading your last message about your efforts, I was thinking that this kind of wide approach is unlikely to be nearly as effective as getting the message out in a targeted way to your fans (rather than broadly to all metal fans).

I went looking for your band's Facebook page and I couldn't find one. All I see is the generic auto-generated-by-FB page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Katagory-V/112516785428792). Am I missing it?

Hails Seastorm!

I'll field this question for Albie - We actually have been using concentrated efforts via Facebook, twitter, our mailing list, and any other source at our disposal.

here are links to the official facebook page and a few others :saint:

Katagory V on facebook

Katagory V on twitter

Katagory V on Youtube

Katagory V on Wikipedia

I should note... many many moons ago, we released out 2nd album in 2004 which was on the same label as Theocracy's brilliant self-titled album in 2003. So, at one brief moment in time, you could say we were label mates. :worship:

I'm thinking it'd be great to contact Metal Ages somehow and get a public notice to all parts of the forum.

Dustin, thanks for the links. For some reason, when I plug 'Katagory V' into the search box on FB, the band's page doesn't come up in the list. I have no idea why.

On a side note, as someone who has run a lot of FB pages, I have a suggestion for you. You can change the page url to be something more friendly, like facebook.com/Katagory-V, rather than facebook.com/pages/Katagory-V/199639805234.

Just go into Settings > Page Info > Facebook Web Address > Edit. When you first created the page you didn't have that option, but once you surpassed 25 likes, they gave you that ability.

I just posted your campaign info on my FB page and directed people to your FB page. Hopefully that gets you a few extra eyeballs!

Thanks for the tip, SeaStorm!

If Dustin doesn't see this info, I'll forward it to him right away. That guy has internet eyes like a hawk, though, so something tells me he's on it already.

We also appreciate your efforts to spread the word. We figure that for every one hundred people who view these posts, five people will actually visit the campaign page. From there, only 5% of those visitors will actually contribute to the fund. In short, even though it stands to reason without the math, the more eyes we get on these posts, the better!

Also, to touch on what you mentioned, Aletheus, Dustin and I know Deron from MetalAges Media from way back. In fact, as Dustin mentioned, the band's second album was released on the short-live MetalAges music label in 2004. I actually feel like I plastered these campaign posts on the various Ultimate Metal forums enough as it is. I decided to hit up the forums where our music would seem relevant. For instance, I hit up the Communic forum, but I stayed clear of the Clad In Darkness forum. Let's just say that I don't want to overstay my welcome. Actually, I'm glad that I posted on these band forums, as it has shown me which ones are still active and which ones have pretty much died in favor of Facebook. Through this forum and the Power Quest forum, I've met some cool fellow metalheads like yourself. I look forward to joining in on future discussions on these two forums.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

It's good that you're trying hard with this, but I just meant they could show it to those who directly fund your release, not just make a donation. Who knows, they might just be interested.

... You can change the page url to be something more friendly, like facebook.com/Katagory-V, rather than facebook.com/pages/Katagory-V/199639805234.

Just go into Settings > Page Info > Facebook Web Address > Edit. When you first created the page you didn't have that option, but once you surpassed 25 likes, they gave you that ability.

Done and Done! Thanks for the tip on that!

I just posted your campaign info on my FB page and directed people to your FB page. Hopefully that gets you a few extra eyeballs!
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Excellent, thank you!

Aletheus,

I'm assuming you're referring to record labels. If so, we already exhausted that option three years ago, which is one of the main reasons why we started this campaign. The band's first album was self-released, the second one was released through MetalAges Media, and the last two were released through Nightmare Records in the U.S. and Burning Star Records in Europe. Unfortunately, only the first album had any decent sales, as the one-time pressing of 1,000 copies sold out. None of the subsequent albums sold as well as the debut, so labels don't want to take a chance on us knowing that there's been a downward slope from album to album.

Naturally, one would think that the quality of the band's music declined, resulting in said decline of sales. However, I think the band was pretty consistent with its material from album to album. I always enjoyed what they were doing musically with each album, but I must admit that I felt that the singer on those albums didn't quite understand what the band was going for. Whereas the material on the previous albums was written without much input from the original vocalist (and that was by his choice, by the way), I made a point of crafting the vocal melodies for every song on this new release. Dustin, our bassist and leader, offered a lot of ideas in that area as well, but the bulk of the vocal melodies were mine. Not to toot my own horn, but because of the new vocal approach and the more varied songwriting, I truly feel that this album has the potential to impress more listeners than any of the previous releases. However, I think this album is about seven years late when it comes to impressing the folks at labels. I honestly don't think that the majority of the labels that received this new material even bothered to listen to it. I'll bet they just saw the name "Katagory V" and thought, "Not those guys!" It happens all the time with bands.

This is why we need folks like you to act as our voice. If you like what you're hearing, let it be known. If enough people do this, maybe one of these label folks will take notice. Our goal with this campaign is to never have to start another campaign like this, and we can only reach that goal if enough people are digging the music. Let's hope you're one of those people.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Alright, folks!

We've now reached the halfway point of the campaign. Though we've received some outstanding contributions, we have yet to break 32% of our goal.

For those of you who aren't too keen on the idea of crowdfunding, I urge you to click on the link below and read an article written by our bassist and founder, Dustin Mitchell:
http://thetrichordist.com/2014/07/18...of-katagory-v/

If you read the article, you'll find that we're just as uncomfortable asking for money upfront as many people are uncomfortable to give said money. We realize that we're not exactly trying to fund a cure for cancer, but we're not exactly making potato salad, either.

That said, we truly appreciate all of the support that we've received thus far, and we really hope that those who have pledged their money can reap the rewards of their contributions.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Just checked the 2 tracks: they rock! Very Parallels-era Fates Warning, 80s-Queensryche, etc. I've been waiting for your album to drop since I heard you belt Queen of the Reich at Prog Power several years ago. :worship:

I always dug K5 but the production always left something to be desired, you guys finally have a GREAT sounding album. Going to pledge now. :)

Thanks a lot, bud! I'm glad you dug the tunes, and I really hope you enjoy the rest of them if we can get this thing out!

That "Queen Of The Reich" performance seems to be my claim to fame. I had a blast doing it, and the Mindcrime guys are totally cool. The funny thing is that my inclusion to their set was actually an eleventh-hour decision. Nils from Pagan's Mind was supposed to be the band's guest for that song, but the flight that Pagan's Mind were taking to Atlanta was arriving the day after Mindcrime's set. Three days before the show, Shane Dubose (bassist for Mindcrime) called up my bassist Dustin to ask if I would be interested in singing the song with them on stage. Dustin then called me. Oddly enough, aside from screaming the title of the song, I had no recollection of how the tune went, as I fell out of love with Queensryche in years prior. However, seeing as how I can be a bit of an attention whore, I said, "Sure!" and spent the next three days listening to the song over and over. Thankfully, it went over really well!

By the way, I just checked out "Lady Of Pain." Well done! That said, which member of the band are you? Will you be attending ProgPower this year? If so, I'd like to meet you, and I'd be happy to pick up some of your music as well. Take care!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I pledged so there better not be an if. :saint:

You totally killed it during that QOTR performance so it's a fine claim to fame to have. :)

I haven't been to PPUSA since 2009. I'd love to go again - hell I wish I could go every year - but it's during a bad time of year and is so costly. Flight, hotel, festival, etc. The line-up in '09 was perfect and for my tastes was my favorite lineup the festival has had to date. Each year has 4-5 favorites, but that year had about 10.

Oh, thanks so much for checking out the tune. The song in my sig might be more to your liking, bigger power metal influence. I'm the guitarist and singer.

BTW, we spoke several times during the fest in 2009. If I remember right I think we chatted during the first night at a burger joint or something nearby.

Okay, so you're Brandon. I definitely dig what you're doing with Final Stage. I noticed that with the exception of "Through The Mirror," your stuff is kind of tough to find in this country. I imagine that I could order CDs directly from you, though. I'll see what I can find when I go to ProgPower this year, and then I'll contact you.

We may very well have spoken to each other at ProgPower X. I run into so many people there every year that it's become an absolute blur! I hope you can make it to a future fest, as it would be cool to meet up with you. We'll be in touch!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Well, folks, we're approximately two weeks away from the deadline. Despite the awesome contributions made by some outstanding folks, (a great number of which are from the Ultimate Metal forums!), we still haven't even reached half of our goal.

This is the time when I must beg any of you who are on the fence to take another look at the page. $15 gets you the album with shipping included. Just look at it as a pre-order. With the amount of money we've raised thus far, we would need about 212 people to contribute just enough money to get the CD in their hands. Another thing to keep in mind is that everyone will be refunded if we don't reach our goal. Thus, you lose nothing by making a pledge!

We would love for the world to hear what took so much time, labor, and money to create, but we really need your help to get over the last hump. If you haven't checked out the available tunes, please go to www.reverbnation.com/katagoryv today.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert