Help: Logic 8 - Triggering .Wav channel gate using midi :-(

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
okay!!! gate time for me!

i've tried it but i cant get it to work properly.

test scenario: davidian midi drum file & lamb of god's wrath guitar track (.wav)

okay...so on the midi channel i opened up a standard synth to generate a tone, then i sent it to bus 1.

on the insert of my wav guitar channel i inserted a gate and set the side chain to the bus track. when i done that i noticed it gated the sound when there was no midi playing but once there was a midi hit the sound came through. so i want it the opposite way.

this time i threw the gate onto the midi bus and set the side chain as my wav channel - this time it gated the midi synth sound.

argh! so what am i missing here? its my 1st time playing around with midi gates. im trying to make a real hard cut sound on my .wav almost like a cd skip sound by triggering the gate using midi

help sneap army!:kickass:

PS: i cant read any answers until tomorrow - im going out to get drunk in the hope to cure my current hangover...ugh

You are looking for a compressor instead of a gate ( so it compresses it when the synth comes in)
I always did it that way when dealing with pumping electro bass

no i can't use a side chain compressor because i dont want to create a side chain pump. i want to make a very clean cut - almost like a tremolo effect where the muted sound is muted very very quick and comes back in very very fast