help making some final tweaks to this song?

photoresistor

New Metal Member
Jan 10, 2009
hey guys,

im in the middle of making the last adjustments to the mix of a song for a metal band im recording... overall im pretty happy with the sound we were able to get, and the band is pretty happy as well, but if i could get some tips or feedback to help make it sound even better id really appreciate it!

http://home.comcast.net/~photoresistor/audio/eurov2splash.mp3

(sorry its an mp3!)

unfortunately i might be having to master this song as well (unfortunate because im not a ME and have never really done much besides just making it loud for myspace. also because im scared im going to miss something someone else might catch on a different monitoring setup)--if anyone likes what they hear and think they could blow my master out of the water (shouldnt be terribly hard haha) enough to convince the band itd be worth it to spend a little more, let me know! or if you have any master advice (mostly eq thoughts... my "mastering gear" is quite limited).

thanks guys! we'd really appreciate any feedback/ideas!!

-dan

Only thing I can really say is that I'd bring up the overheads, mainly to make the mix sound a little bit brighter. Otherwise it sounds great.

Dude is this Across The Sun? Just a wild guess... Actually, after a couple listens, this HAS to be them, haha. If it is, that's funny and kind of crazy because I mixed/mastered their "Storms Weathered" EP. If this is their new music, I like it better than their old direction...actually a lot better.

Anyway, I don't know if you like the sound of their previous effort. If you don't, then you may not want advice from me, haha...

I think the snare is pretty dark, and it sounds pretty raw too. Hit that sucker with a compressor! Do you have any reverb on the snare? The toms could use a little more subtractive EQing as well in those muddy low-mid range areas, maybe even a bit of brightening. I think the bass sits pretty well, and it sounds better than the bass I was given to mix last time around...I just had a mic'd track, no DI. Love the vocals and vocalist... I don't think they need much tweaking, maybe just a touch of brightening on the harsh vocals. Guitar tone sounds pretty good, but again, I think it's a bit dark.

I'm down to master them again if you'd like, haha.

If you're gonna master it, try to mix it in such a way so that you don't have to actually do any EQing during mastering, short of maybe a hi-pass and low-pass.