help me identify this mic

whoa, i think it is a u87. that is a truly retarted microphone. no wonder his records sound that good. it's weird, i don't know of many heavy distorted records (basically any metal) that is recorded with a lot of high end mics. the meat and potatoes is recorded with sm57's and nowadays some e609s and stuff, along with other random mics here and there. i was unaware that such an expensive and prestigious microphone would ever be used in the type of application (metal) in question.

yeap seems to be a TLM193, use that one myself on female vocals sometimes (very warm) never tried it on a cab though....should do that.

damn that engl cab looks tiny compared to the mesa...

whoa, i think it is a u87. that is a truly retarted microphone. no wonder his records sound that good. it's weird, i don't know of many heavy distorted records (basically any metal) that is recorded with a lot of high end mics. the meat and potatoes is recorded with sm57's and nowadays some e609s and stuff, along with other random mics here and there. i was unaware that such an expensive and prestigious microphone would ever be used in the type of application (metal) in question.

A lot of metal albums have the guitars recorded with "high end" mics on the guitars. In addition to the Nuemann a lot of metal guitars are being recorded with ribbons (the Royers in particular).

i never really liked the tesseract recordings and i think now i know why, did you see how many times he said he uses the bbe plugin in that post on their forums?
:puke:

i never really liked the tesseract recordings and i think now i know why, did you see how many times he said he uses the bbe plugin in that post on their forums?
:puke:

That's what i was thinking as well a while ago... it does sound good, but somehow i kept thinking most of his stuff could do much better without or less BBE sonic maximizer...

i've tried it several times, and i strongly feel if you have a very good amp and quality gear running throughout a bbe sonic maximuizer strongly detracts from the raw tone. i tried the pedal with my road king, i didn't like it. i tried the rack unit with my friends 5150 didn't like it. i tried the pedal in sam ash once on i believe a marshall jcm 800, maybe 900. i also tried it via a triaxis/2:90 setup and it still sucked.

never got the point.

either way, i was just curious as to what mic that was. you guys helped a lot, thank you.

Its a TLM193 for definite. Guess who else used one?

Meshuggah's Fredrik Thordendal on Chaosphere.

High end mic's do make great tone :)

except for the exceptionally rich people amongst us or those with super high end studios, i really dont see why the common man would ever want to shell out £600+ on a mic to do a job a £69 mic can do, and is the standard for doing.

imagine what else you could buy with £500+ haha. i reckon buying £500 of preamps, plugins, whatever, would far outweigh the pros of having such a high end mic when chances are, the rest of the gear we would have would destroy all the quality with its cheap averageness anyway.

I second that - I'll get some new tasty pres and a variety of dynamics instead of one expensive mic any day.

I also need some sound isolation. And my own place to live. And some bears to attack the neighbors when they annoy me.

Jeff

I see that the 57 is the most used on guitar amps and that hasn't got anything to do with the price of the mic it's just because it sounds good!!

It's a matter of taste, not price.

Andy will hopefully chime in and tell us is experience with that. He had for sure access to a lot of very expensive and vintage mics and he still used 57s.

It just makes the amps sound good. Period :lol:

57s aren't made like they used to be, in all seriousness, but they're an effective enough tool that there's no way a person can blame a shit tone on the microphone. The way they're designed, they respond very well to positioning changes (and sound amazingly tasty with the proximity effect) and their EQ curve allows most things to 'pop' in the mix very well.

That said, I and many others on the board are very pleased with the i5 - it captures 'chug' differently and the top response is more crisp and clean. I had been putting away for a second 57, but now that I've tried both I'm doubting that money will go there and not to a second i5.

Jeff