help me improve my mix pls!

syndrone

New Metal Member
Nov 14, 2008
hey guys,

i am working on a production for a band and the rough mix i created is kinda.. lame.. not cool.. sounds a bit digital as well... you get the idea. anyway, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/syndrone-1/test-mix-ii

problem zones that i think i hear (but still have problems to fix):

- muddy low mids? from guitars? bass? kick? my first guess would be guitars or bass but when i make small more or less intelligent cuts to the guitars in this region they get thin and sound like they have no body anymore. compensating @ around 450hz makes it honky and @ 1-1.5khz they sound telephone-esque.. when i cut the bass there it loses all its power and impact.. actually the bass has almost nothing going on at 240-600hz...

- guitar tone is fizzy and thin, kinda harsh on 2-3khz. i can`t seem to make it sound good... when i go and cut that harsh high end (or the fizz @6.5khz+) they sound dull. i love present guitar tones but how do i make them present but not harsh/trebly/fizzy?
->good example for an awesome guitar (and bass) tone:

- i just realized the kick (and mix?) has too much low end content. i am happy that this is the least problem to fix haha :loco:

are you hearing other things that have to be fixed?

there are several overdubs that i will probably reamp or at least eq differently because they sound phasey and make the rhythm guitars even worse haha sorry for that..

any help would be much appreciated! :worship:

cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
turn up a little the guitars too low for me!
also just find the bad guitar frequencies and reduce it so easy :)

First, if the mix does not compare with other mixes then it sounds good, so what else do you want?
Second, regarding the issue, I think there is some problem with similarity guitar lo-end and bass lo-end. They just merge into one, increasing the overall lo-end for mix instead to be in its range

turn up a little the guitars too low for me!
also just find the bad guitar frequencies and reduce it so easy :)

thanks for the reply!
..haha i tried! but it always ended up sounding like crap..
and yes, guitars are too low.. when i raise them their midrange becomes honky and starts to kill the mix even more. when i cut the honky mids in the 800hz region the guitars lose again some body and gain even more harshness....

how do? ¯\(°_o)/¯ :D

First, if the mix does not compare with other mixes then it sounds good, so what else do you want?
Second, regarding the issue, I think there is some problem with similarity guitar lo-end and bass lo-end. They just merge into one, increasing the overall lo-end for mix instead to be in its range

well but in the end the band will compare with other mixes.. and until now they aren`t really happy with it (but we all know the "clients" who always expect a high end production even when a noob sits behind the knobs ;))

however, i just don`t know what to improve any further..

maybe cutting or compressing these low mids might help a bit. but other than that i`m kinda full of question marks. :zombie:

Didn't improve anything. If they want to sound like others, they have to pay like other .. its simple.
Anyway it sounds great

Didn't improve anything. If they want to sound like others, they have to pay like other .. its simple.
Anyway it sounds great

hahaha yeah that`s so true man, thanks, i`m gonna quote that to them haha :D

..and if anyone else finds something i am very thankful for every tip!

Try high passing the bass at like 40hz. Sounds like it has a bit too much sub lows

thx, will do! i think i will also highpass the kick.. or maybe the mix as a whole. not sure if the content down there is useful in any situation at all..... :]