Help me in getting started with drum triggering and editing.

Ice Man

Sep 18, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
Hey, all. To make a long story short, whenever I track real drums, they usually wind up getting 'gogged and left unedited for fear on my part of a daunting task. I've read the one article floating around here on Cubase/Nuendo slicing, but what would I do about misplaced cymbal hits? Beyond that, if I were to put in cymbal hits after in the right places, would I duck the previous OH tracks to compensate?

Also, I'd like to invest in drum triggering. It seems pretty inexpensive to pick up a pack of triggers and a DM5, but how would I get started in terms of signal path and recording?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards,
Daniel

audio

then you would use something like aptrigga or drumagog or sound replacer to convert the hits to drum sounds

I figured the triggers had to trigger something, but that's easy enough. And I'm sure the little blips are much easier to quantize.

Now, if I wanted to use a module, would I do source > trigger > module > preamp

or,

Source > trigger > preamp - out > module > preamp back in?

Thanks!

I figured the triggers had to trigger something, but that's easy enough. And I'm sure the little blips are much easier to quantize.

Now, if I wanted to use a module, would I do source > trigger > module > preamp

or,

Source > trigger > preamp - out > module > preamp back in?

Thanks!

i dont know about using a module, i mean, i know about most of the modules that exist, and they just dont sound good

but if you really wanted a gay drum sound, you could go

trigger -> module -> preamp

because you're recording the sound that the module makes, not the triggers

if you want both, see if the module has midi output as well, track the midi as well as the module audio

I've got something I'd like to ask about this as well. Won't triggers dampen the drum? I've thought about picking up some triggers to make my life easier in replacement, but it seems like you'd be tossing any possibility of keeping the real hits if you were going for an open sound.

I'm always fighting to get the ring out of drums anyway, so I haven't noticed a "dampening" factor. I use the fuck out of moon gel, too! I would say, the trigger won't bother the drums tone.:lol: I've never heard a complaint either, so.