Help me make a decision...

I'd love to see a widely used and accepted community for bands and musicians, where every artist would have similar profile page with customizable colors and graphics but with a static layout, a short biography, a short overview of the latest news, tour dates and a HIGH QUALITY, BUG FREE MUSIC PLAYER. That's what MySpace should've been.

I, for one , if looking to hear music from a new band or whatever , still instinctively google " 'band name' myspace" , and I doubt I am alone on that.

Many people can technically do such a thing. The hard part is to be attractive to EVERYone, as myspace was, and so create the need of someone who does not have one, to have one. This is a hard marketing strategy to develop. Bandcamp and reverbnation are good at what they do, but for the moment, they don't have a real "name" as myspace, twitter, or facebook have. I believe we have to wait until myspace actually "dies" on the band market to see who stands up.

Why don't we do something with this idea and actually fucking start something? I'm sure we have enough designers/coding guys to pull it off....... plus with most of us being in or working with bands we know exactly what they'd need and/or want to see in a site...

Just saying.. I might start looking into this. If I do I'll hit Adam, Jarkko, Jason and a few others up for some help..

In my own band we've already decided to ditch myspace for all practical purposes. We're gonna be creating our own website which pulls blog & gig guide content from ReverbNation (the other widgets on offer are pretty useful as well), using a Bandcamp streaming player (because it doesn't rely on Flash, a must for people using iPhones/similar mobile devices). And converting our existing Myspace profile to little more than a big masthead telling people where to find us in future. It's dead as a very dead thing, everything that made it attractive and useful to bands has been ruined by it's farcical transformation into some kind of horrific Twitter/Facebook hybrid.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Facebook,+Myspace&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=Myspace

Couple things happened with MySpace, they launched there MySpace music which caused a slight decrease (and I blame that on the wave of shit bands spamming the fuck out of everyone trying to get big, the whole site just became infested with amateur bands), followed by the other co-founder DeWolfe, leaving. The company that had bought myspace laid off over 300 employees, that was when the lope of their drop got steeper. Then just a few months ago the company decided that they where going to use myspace for entertainment only instead of social networking. However I beleive that people have gotten so fed up with the infestation of "entertainment" that they want nothing to do with it, most people stay away from myspace, claiming its dead, and that they hate it, so it would be difficult to get it back up again, since the company has made some bad decisions, they tainted the Myspace name, and it most likely will be permanent.

They seem to be trying to do everything they can to integrate with FB, Twitter and whatever else. Too little, too late, more than likely.

I honestly didn't care until they kept breaking the damned layouts. They should've latched onto the fact that people were putting full presentations into their layouts, and just made a framework to accommodate it - not constantly screw their users over.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Facebook,+Myspace&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=Myspace

Couple things happened with MySpace, they launched there MySpace music which caused a slight decrease (and I blame that on the wave of shit bands spamming the fuck out of everyone trying to get big, the whole site just became infested with amateur bands), followed by the other co-founder DeWolfe, leaving. The company that had bought myspace laid off over 300 employees, that was when the lope of their drop got steeper. Then just a few months ago the company decided that they where going to use myspace for entertainment only instead of social networking. However I beleive that people have gotten so fed up with the infestation of "entertainment" that they want nothing to do with it, most people stay away from myspace, claiming its dead, and that they hate it, so it would be difficult to get it back up again, since the company has made some bad decisions, they tainted the Myspace name, and it most likely will be permanent.

It's actually quite scary how such a huge, widely-known monster site such as MySpace can pretty much turn into dust in a relatively short time due to a couple of misjudgments from it's operators. It's a pretty ruthless business.