Help me make a decision - Computer upgrades

Josh M.

Jul 11, 2009
Australia
EDIT: I've realised my question was pretty long and hard to understand.

Basically I'm getting a Macbook Pro soon to replace my current laptop. At the moment I also have a desktop PC which I use purely as my DAW. I want to know whether I should sell my desktop and upgrade the laptop (to have a better spec than my desktop) and use this as my DAW or keep the desktop and just get a baseline model of the MBP.

The real question lies in whether or not a laptop is suitable for multi-track recording and mixing. Assuming that the laptop was more powerful than the desktop in terms of specs, would the desktop have any advantage over the laptop? I would imagine that desktops might be a bit more stable on the power supply side of things, but I just want to know what the best option is for me.

The specs of my current desktop are:
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @ 2.66Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
500 GB 5400 RPM HDD
1 TB 7400 RPM HDD
nVidia 8600 GT 512 MB

Upgraded MBP specs:
2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

I intend to use this with a Profire 2626 and of course would use an external hard drive to record to.

And I know that the 15" has a quad-core but I want to get the 13 because it's super portable.

Thanks

It doesn't appear to have the option for 7200 RPM, next thing up is the SSD and that's an extra 250 dollars. I'd definitely be using a 7200 to record to though.

External USB or Firewire hard drives are good enough to record a full band with pretty much any laptop computer as long as you don't overload the DAW with plugins and virtual instruments.

Ah right, so I guess that means no proper mixing then? Or do you mean just during tracking?

I get fairly good performance on the desktop at the moment so shouldn't I expect to see better performance on a hyper-threaded i5?