Is mixing with a laptop viable?

MoTang

Jan 27, 2014
So, I wanted to invest in a new computer for mixing.

I know desktops are better for mixing. They don't overheat, you get more for your money, etc.

However, portability is something I need as I might be leaving for school as a student, and taking a desktop too and from areas when I come home will be a pain in the ass. In other words, a laptop will be more practical for my uses.

I only mix as a hobby. Track counts for me can reach maybe 40 tracks, at the most, sometimes more.

Is it possible to mix with a laptop with specs like this:

Processor:4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Operating System:Windows 8 64
Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
Memory:8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Display:15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080
Hard Drive:1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD
Optical Drive:DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Battery:6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Network Card:Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth:Bluetooth Version 4.0

without freezing tracks constantly like I currently do with my desktop? (making everything more time consuming)

I figured I could fix the overheating issue by buying some sort of cooling pad that the laptop sits on.

Thanks.

I use a laptop with similar specs (I have 12gb of RAM and a worse video card and no SSD) And I did mix a song about a week ago that has around 40ish tracks and my laptop was able to handle it. I also use amp sims and drum VSTi as well as maybe... 2-3 plugins per track and I had no problems. My laptop also does not overheat even without the cooling pad I have. I also had a previous laptop that just had 6gb of RAM and an i3 processor and I only had to freeze the guitars and bass when working on larger projects.

So from experience mixing on laptops you should definitely be able to get by with those specs.

EDIT: I mostly feel like I need my cooling pad if it is hot in my house/school. At my college they like to keep the heat on full blast, sometimes I work outside when I am mixing, but the cooling pad helps in that situation definitely.

That 24 GB SSD sounds like a system drive. Your audio files will be on the 1TB regular HD and you may run into data-read-speed problems with that. Pop in a Samsung Evo SSD and that issue will be solved. Overheating issue depends on the model/manufacturer. Apple laptops have never overheated on me, but some of the P.O.S. Dell and HP's I used to have did...

I've recorded and mixed two records on a core2duo laptop. Freezing constantly, yes, but still.
My current desktop is weaker than the laptop specs you've provided and I couldn't ask for more. I guess you'll be ok!

I've worked on laptops for the last seven years without issue. Average track counts from 30-50. Literally no change in my workflow vs. desktops and I've had none of the freezing and overheating you guys are talking about.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. Your limitation is going to be processor speed and drive use, just like with a desktop. But equally spec'd and there's literally no difference.

All of my laptops always had overheating problems and died due to that after a few years... Could be my bad luck though...

The processor can be a problem, people forget that mobile processors are not nearly as powerful as the desktop versions. 2.4 GHz Quad-core isn't very impressive tbh, my quad core that is clocked to 4.5 GHz can even be too slow sometimes if you use real heavy plug ins.

The processor can be a problem, people forget that mobile processors are not nearly as powerful as the desktop versions. 2.4 GHz Quad-core isn't very impressive tbh, my quad core that is clocked to 4.5 GHz can even be too slow sometimes if you use real heavy plug ins.

Clock speed is not necessarily an indicator of overall processor performance these days though, only a rough guide - a 2.4ghz i7 with hyperthreading can still outperform an overclocked i5. The particular processor in the OP's post will outrun a 4670k, which is a respectable desktop processor, at stock speeds.

Laptop processors have come a long, looooong way in just the last couple years. The only ones that are still weak compared to desktops are the low voltage ones that are in thin laptops (usually end with just a U). The MQ is "full" power and all things considered, extremely fast for the size of the computer... he'll be just fine.

the 24gb SSD should be just enough for an install of Windows and then your DAW but you will have to put samples on the normal HD. If the SSD is a cache (doesn't let you install things directly to it), iirc there is a way to override that functionality so it will work like a separate drive and I'd recommend you do that and also downgrade to Windows 7.