Help a computer noob out! Vista? XP? Dual Core? Quad Core?

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
hola bitchola's!

I have had this dell Inspirion laptop for the past 4 years and I am looking to buy a new PC desktop computer for home recording. But my only problem is that I've never been really computer savvy as far as knowing what specs are good and what parts of the computer contribute to better performance for recording.

Right now my laptop has a dual core processor, 100GB hard drive with 1 gig of RAM. Windows XP. After learning so much from this forum, I've been using more and more plug-ins in Cubase and its to the point now where it literally maxes out my CPU Usage and PF Usage and everything goes nuts and freezes. It only has USB ports too :(

Under My Computer it says:

Genuine Intel (R) CPU
T2259 @ 1.73GHz
1.73 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM

I do not really understand about different types of processors, and how they contribute to performance in recording software. I understand RAM I guess, but from what I've been told, RAM isn't the only thing that matters when it comes to recording. Do you think paying the extra money for a Quad Core would be that much more beneficial in recording?

I'm looking at a HP Pavilion Desktop with these Specs:

-Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E5200
With 800MHz frontside bus, 2MB shared L2 cache and 2.5GHz processor speed.

-6GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM

-640GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

Also, when Vista first came out I heard lots of bashing of it from people who record, saying a lot of hardware doesn't work, some software doesn't work, ect... but since then, the bashing of Vista has seemed to die down a bit around here. Just wondering people's opinions on it, because I'm looking to buy a pre-built computer and they all come with Vista pretty much now.

Any advice would be really helpful!

You should build it yourself, it's really not hard no matter how nubby you are, you get to pick exactly what goes in it, AND you don't have to deal with any of the rubbish vendor-installed software.

edit: not to mention it's cheaper, or at least it used to be.

Rofl buy it yourself and get the most of everything as you can

my friends quad can do so much more then my dual 2.33

Just remember 32bit XP/vista will only read 3.2gb/4gb while 64 bit can handle much more. blah blah blah

32 can identify up to 4 gb RAM.64 can go more than that.Dunno about any other differences EXCEPT the fact that vista64 dont like gaming so much:lol:

Then again, you r from NY.Why dont you go for the (big:p) APPLE if it is for recording.Expensive, i know.But.........

har har har big apple lol

I'd like to stick with PC, thanks for the suggestion though.
And I don't really want to build it myself. Like I said, I'm kind of a computer noob and I'd also like to have like a warranty on the damn thing :)

The computer I'm looking has Vista 64 Bit

Does having a Quad Core help with recording performance? I thought most plug-ins and stuff had to do mostly with RAM

though Microsoft wont admit it, Vista is a failure. Thats why theyre already replacing it this winter with their new OS, Windows 7.

as for 32 vs. 64 bit, i dont know about Cubase, but i know that ProTools and several plugins dont work in 64 bit. not sure if the plugins not working in 64 are tied to PT or not.

Right now i'm running on a PC built by myself, it's no biggie to asemble it by yourself. I'd compare it to medium level lego technics :D

Pick up a quad core of your choice (i think the Q9550 has good value for many), then invest in a asus motherboard with a P45 chipset, can't go wrong with asus.

I don't know if your into gaming but just pick-up a cheap graphic card, like a radeon x550 (don't know if they still make those). Oh yeah, remember that your power supply must deliver at least 400W, and 600W if you prefer a fancy graphics card, PC's are power hungry these days

Some short opinions and pointers:

Definately a Quad Core for DAW use.
Go for 4 GB RAM and run 32-bit XP for now... When Windows 7 is released, maybe it's time to go 64-bit. Any CPU you buy now will be 64-bit ready.
I'd stay off Vista (yes, I've tried it).

Things to remember:
Effects (Reverb, amp simulators,...) use CPU
Software samples (drums e.g.) use RAM (and some cpu)

I asked this in another thread , but got lost:

For demo/promo production I have an old P4 2,5 in our rehearsal room, which is ok for recording (I have only 8 inputs to record atm).
But when it comes to mixing it is obviously not enough, so I have to do it at home on my Q9450.
But I like to mix at the other place as well, so I ordered a new mobo with an E5200 dual core, would that be ok for mixing like 25 tracks or so ?