Help Me Settle a Debate About Metal Singers

Brahmabull117

New Metal Member
Nov 30, 2011
My buddy, who is a huge fan of queensryche, has been trying to tell me that Geoff Tate is the greatest singer ever. Now I'm a huge fan of Symphony X and have argued that Russell allen is the better singer

His whole basis on argument is that Tate is better cause he's the greatest singer ever on a technical level (no doubt about that), but I say Allen is better because he's more versataille, sings with more emotion and is a much better vocalist at the mid to lower ranges. Allen does some awesome metallica/pantera-ish vocals in addition to his great operatic vocals

What do you guys think???

vs

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not much of a mediator (more of an instigator if anything), but I think you guys should stop the silly bickering and go with Rob Halford.

Rob's nowhere near as good of a singer (technically) as either one

He's great, don't get me wrong but he would be somewhere around the #20-25 mark (Dio and Dickinson are also better by a good margin)

Yeah I get what ya mean... Personally I just don't care much for either of those singers you posted, no offense meant whatsoever.
And I know; I shouldn't have posted then.. Just personal preference; I'm more into vocals over singing, if you know what I mean.

I just don't see too much point in this thread, as it's more or less about personal preference. Don't really think you can definitively say which one is better.
Either way, I don't mean to derail it. :)

Yeah I get what ya mean... Personally I just don't care much for either of those singers you posted, no offense meant whatsoever.
And I know; I shouldn't have posted then.. Just personal preference; I'm more into vocals over singing, if you know what I mean.

I just don't see too much point in this thread, as it's more or less about personal preference. Don't really think you can definitively say which one is better.
Either way, I don't mean to derail it. :)

definately an opinion thing, I just wanted to know how many guys prefered one or the other

To me those 2 are the gods of metal vocals - both guys have UNBELIEVABLE technique (both in their regular singing and mid range ballads) and a ton of energy/passion when they do so sing

I would even take both over the singers of journey or any other great rock band

As much as I love both singers (at least older Tate material...), just given the Rage for Order and Operation: Mindcrime material alone - I'd have to put Tate on top. His melodies, delivery and control are beyond anything I have heard from Russell.

I like singers that sound like they have balls. The only effeminate Metal singer I can stand to listen to is James LaBrie.

But you can't settle it. It's a matter of opinion who sounds "better."

Arguing over who's technically better is retarded, because James LaBrie is technically amazing and I'd still rather gouge out my eardrums with a jackhammer than listen to a minute of his weak effeminate bullshit.

I like Tate better. I also like Queensryche a hell of a lot more.

I like singers that sound like they have balls. The only effeminate Metal singer I can stand to listen to is James LaBrie.

But you can't settle it. It's a matter of opinion who sounds "better."

How in the world can you listen to James Labrie and not listen to Russell Allen??

That's like preferring a Chihuahua over a German Shepherd. Allen has one of the deepest and most aggressive natural voices in all of metal. If people were not allowed to use extreme metal shouting/screaming/growing/screeching, there's nobody in metal who could sing more aggressively than Allen

Last edited by a moderator: