help me with mix (power metal, female vocalist, real amps)

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
mix sounds :err:
but i've spent lot of time on it and its not getting better..

gimme some clues please? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Programed drums? if so, it was poorly programed. If this is a real drummer, so he sucks!lol Try to improve the drum sound, especially the kick, a fatter and bigger kick and then the snare, with just only 2 adjusments can make your mix sounds a lot better. The bass is not very present, try to work it also.

it was programmed actuallt. i did it. can you be mote specific on why its poorly made? some guiflined? because i dont have a clue.. I really tried fattening the kick but it always ends up pointy and middy

When I program drums I allways use two or three different VSTi.
Superior, SSD, Ez drummer......and so on.
I take a kick I like from lets say Superior, and I really like how it sounds in the mid. Then I cut everything from 200-300hz and below, and perhaps 5khz and above.
Then I search in another VSTi for a kick that has a good low end. When I find that I cut everything above 200-300hz.
And the same for the high end kick.
Then I mix them together and it sounds much more natural. I do the same with snare.

On this song I have done this:
http://soundcloud.com/nestergaard/fall-into-oblivion-mix-2

The drums pattern you are using is more a rock pattern than metal, IMO and avoid the use of ride cymbals because the ride sounds fake as fuck. Use more cymbals as splash, china to guide the music. Avoid ghost notes in the snare for this kind of music because it doesnt work. Ok the music it´s not very dynamic to create but it could be better programmed.

The harddest thing i think is the hats and overhead. i feel like no matter what i do with them they feel in the air and unreleveant..

When I program drums I allways use two or three different VSTi.
Superior, SSD, Ez drummer......and so on.
I take a kick I like from lets say Superior, and I really like how it sounds in the mid. Then I cut everything from 200-300hz and below, and perhaps 5khz and above.
Then I search in another VSTi for a kick that has a good low end. When I find that I cut everything above 200-300hz.
And the same for the high end kick.
Then I mix them together and it sounds much more natural. I do the same with snare.

On this song I have done this:
http://soundcloud.com/nestergaard/fall-into-oblivion-mix-2

dude it sounds really good! its the first time i hear of this method though. i know many people are blanding snare and kicks, but when i try to blend i always get phase issues.

Yes sometimes it can be a bit tricky. But with some patience it is a really good way to get a natural drum sound in programed drums.