real drums real amps but sounds bad help

jessman24

Aug 30, 2010
please help me on this mix im really frustrated and lost im not getting the sound i want at all

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F54259003&show_artwork=true"></iframe>

vocals sound pretty good for the style. It needs way more kick, I cant hear it well enough to give an opinion on it eq wise. Hell it just needs more drums in general. I think i would start by muting the guitars and getting the drums to the same level of excitement as the lead vocal and then gently bring everything else back in. It would also help to know a little about what youve done so far.

Drums: snare and kick blended samples snare is sidechained with the ohs. Ohs are high passed. Little bit of reverberations on toms and snare room mic has pumping comp.

Guitars: 6505+ head vht 1x12 sm 57 no processing

Bass: split 2 tracks lowpassed one highpassed other compressed the shirt out of low added decapitator on the grit high track

Vox: rvox heavy comp sent to deess plate verb and waves supertap delay

I'm Pretty sure You must balance overall guitar tone image. From here you don't have "big pictures" and "in your face" mix. So use matched eq from some major recording.

well a 1 x 12 cab is not ideal but i bet you can pull something half decent since the rest of your chain is decent. So to be clear you have not eq'd the guitars at all yet? If not hipass at 85 low pass at 12000 or maybe even lower and work from there. Sounds like you have a decent starting point with the kit, have you high and low passed the individual bits yet? Filtering out unnecessary shit is always a great starting point. I maintain that i would keep the vocal as is for now and work on getting the kit as loud and as clear of mud as you can and then start getting surgical on the guitars.

How is a 1x12 cab sound any different from a 4x12? I dont get how it could be when u mic one speaker

Can anyone tramp these di guitar tracks for me so I can see and hear what to look for also I have the leads muted there are 2 rythum and 2 lead guitar tracks how should I pan them and how much quieter should I put the leads or is it better to do one lead in the middle?

Can anyone tramp these di guitar tracks for me so I can see and hear what to look for also I have the leads muted there are 2 rythum and 2 lead guitar tracks how should I pan them and how much quieter should I put the leads or is it better to do one lead in the middle?
if you make some Dropbox files for me I can adjust sound of your guitar, make it fit to mix more

also I have the leads muted there are 2 rythum and 2 lead guitar tracks how should I pan them and how much quieter should I put the leads or is it better to do one lead in the middle?

There's no rules. Only ears and taste your prompter here. But usually rhythm hard Left-Right panned opposed to leads section

How is a 1x12 cab sound any different from a 4x12? I dont get how it could be when u mic one speaker

Its a weird scenario I agree but there is a huge difference. Im not saying you cant get a decent result with a 1x12 but its def not the norm for the style the band is playing, and i think it will require more work. I used to have a fender supersonic 4x12 which is a slightly undersized cab with vintage 30s, and try as i might I couldnt get a sound I liked from it under a mic. My newer mode four cab or my buddies mesa recto cab are a different story, I can spend 15 minutes placing a mic and come off with a tolerable result, there is something about the body of the sound thats just better for this stuff.