HELP NEEDED, (guitar tone)(black dahlia murder style)

joelplagues

Jan 11, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
www.myspace.com
this is the guitars I recorded today for a song Im working on at the moment.I've been trying really hard on micing a cabinet but im still not satisfied with the sound so any hints/tips or help what so ever would be GREATLY appreciated.

setup is:
epiphone-special II(I know its not great)>line 6 spider III>marshall mg412

tracked 2 left, 2 right miced with a sm57>mbox2 mini>protools

plug ins:
high pass at 100hz
low pass at 10khz
4db boost at 5.5khz
and andy's c4 setting

http://www.filefactory.com/file/af00927/n/Guitars_mp3

:erk: as stated above I'm looking for any hints or tips on recording my guitar I've tried alot of things and this is the best I've got so far but I dont think its very good at all.

p.s apologies for the sloppy playing

cheers

EDIT today I've done a quick sample its more gain added and quad tracked(THE DODGY WAY) recorded 4 tracks at once. just to speed things up.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/af03525/n/massacre_more_gain_mp3

let me know if its an improvement or worse(i'm still undecided on my opinion)

You know, this are alot better then I thought a spider through an MG would be. It almost sounds like your strings are super flubby, what gauge + tuning are they?

I think maybe it is a little undergained. I suggest getting a tubescreamer to give it a little extra boost and also cleaning up that low end. It sounds a little muddy. Try reducing around the 150-200hz area also to see if that will help. Not bad though!

I think maybe it is a little undergained. I suggest getting a tubescreamer to give it a little extra boost and also cleaning up that low end. It sounds a little muddy. Try reducing around the 150-200hz area also to see if that will help. Not bad though!

thanks for thee feedback.

yes gain was a little over halfway the spider is weird it is either not enough or to much.

Yeah it's a little undergained sounding. I think you could also use a bit more mid's as well. And the low end is a little muddy. As suggested earlier check out getting a Tubescreamer that will really tighten up that low end. I'd suggest the Tubescreamer TS7, it's essentially the same as the TS9 except $60 cheaper. Not too bad sounding at all for a Spider though.

Yeah it's a little undergained sounding. I think you could also use a bit more mid's as well. And the low end is a little muddy. As suggested earlier check out getting a Tubescreamer that will really tighten up that low end. I'd suggest the Tubescreamer TS7, it's essentially the same as the TS9 except $60 cheaper. Not too bad sounding at all for a Spider though.

thanks heaps I'll definatley look into getting a tubescreamer. I might re record this again tomorrow with some more gain(gee I hope I havent changed the setting)