Help: Tips&Tricks on guitar sound

Sieger

Guitar Addict
Feb 7, 2006
Sofia, Bulgaria
So I've been trying to come up with some decent guitar (power metal) sound lately, but I figured out that I can use some helpful advice from you guys. I have some analog distortions (DS1 and Drive DS1000), v-amp and a whole lot of software since my school is a generous sponsor... Primal Fear sound is my personal favourite. I know I don't stand a chance in becoming even close to that but still I want to get the maximum out of what I have.So please tell me some basic EQ, compression approaches, maybe something out of the "trickbag"... just educate me please! :worship: :worship: :worship:

:wave:

Well, do you have waves?

If so, C4!... :tickled:

EQ is your best friend!

BBE sonic maximizer helps, dont overdo it though.

Sieger said:
So I've been trying to come up with some decent guitar (power metal) sound lately, but I figured out that I can use some helpful advice from you guys. I have some analog distortions (DS1 and Drive DS1000), v-amp and a whole lot of software since my school is a generous sponsor... Primal Fear sound is my personal favourite. I know I don't stand a chance in becoming even close to that but still I want to get the maximum out of what I have.So please tell me some basic EQ, compression approaches, maybe something out of the "trickbag"... just educate me please! :worship: :worship: :worship:

:wave:

Ditch the software and modulation and get a great amp, with a great guitar, and a great guitar player.....

Turn off all the effects, set your EQ to the middle settings, and play around with the amp models you have available until you find something you like. Then one reasonable method for finding a good metal sound is to push bass and treble up, take mid down to zero, then slowly bring the mids back up until you reach a good-sounding point. Add reverb and delay to taste, especially on lead lines. Also, if you have multiple pickups available, try both. Personally I find that the pickup marked as "rhythm" sounds shit for rhythm, so do experiment.

What is a good sound and what is a bad one is all personal preference. What the guy above might call a 'good amp' might have a sound that is bad to my ears. So really you just have to do a lot of experimentation. And bear in mind that what sounds good on record doesn't always sound good when played on its own out of the context of the mix, and vice versa.

"Then one reasonable method for finding a good metal sound is to push bass and treble up, take mid down to zero, then slowly bring the mids back up until you reach a good-sounding point"
BS.....
keep the bass in check - the bass player fills in all the lows in a mix -, get a good bit of mids in there, around 5-8 i'd say, and adjust the treble to taste.
also, set the gain lower than you think....dial in the amount of gain you want, and then turn down another 10-20%. make up for the lack of gain by double tracking guitars....two tracks left two tracks right. you might want to experiment with one set of the tracks panned 80% left/right instead of hard.
ah yeah, and practice playing rhythms so the double tracking thing doesn't sound like shit :D :D :D
remember, if it sounds honky and thin when playing alone, chances are it's gonna sound good in a mix, and vice versa. that typical bedroom treble/bass maxed mids zero setting is gonna sound like SHIT in a mix no matter what.

"Personally I find that the pickup marked as "rhythm" sounds shit for rhythm, so do experiment."
ignore that comment, les paul only :D :D :D
i thought that was obvious, but well, use the bridge pickup (=the one closest to the bridge, duh!) for all your distorted rhythm work. the neck pu pretty much sucks for anything but jazzy cleans and smooth leads

Fragle said:
"Then one reasonable method for finding a good metal sound is to push bass and treble up, take mid down to zero, then slowly bring the mids back up until you reach a good-sounding point"
BS.....
keep the bass in check - the bass player fills in all the lows in a mix

He didn't actually say he was doing a mix, just wanting a better 'sound'. I did say at the end exactly what you said about a good mix sound not being a good lone guitar sound.

"Personally I find that the pickup marked as "rhythm" sounds shit for rhythm, so do experiment."
ignore that comment, les paul only :D :D :D

No, the comment was not to advise him how to use his guitar, but to encourage experimentation.

dude, the only guitar i know of that has the pickups labeled rhythm and lead is the gibson les paul. and for starters, it CAN be misguiding. most people think rhythm=rock/metal rhythm playing, and lead=leads. now keep in mind how old those guitars are! back then the NECK pickup used to be the rhythm pickup cause it's better for CLEAN stuff!
of course it's gonna sound like shit if you try and use the neck pickup for your distorted rhythm work.

and as for the mix thing....bro, unless you're planning on playing alone in the bedroom (and not even then IMHO), using the settings you wrote down IS NOT GONNA CUT IT. PERIOD. even if he's not after a good recording (=mix) tone, you should keep in mind that when playing with a band the guitar "mixes" with the other instruments, and then the same rule applies. guitar=MIDS bass=lows drums=extreme lows and highs, but basically covering the whole spectrum

i don't wanna come across as a dick here, sorry, no offense intended, i just feel i need to keep the kid from getting into the whole scooped mids=br00tal thing. especially for stuff like primal fear who tend to have quite a midrangey tone last time i checked. if i were to suggest some settings in the vein of pantera or metallica's and justice for all, i'd second your statement, but as it is right now that's like saying he should use two boss metal zones in series to get that authentic ac/dc sound ;)

ok, let's stop the pseudo flame war here and try to help him.
i'd say reduce all the software and pedal crap to a minimum and try to dial up a decent tone going guitar->v-amp. of course a real amp properly miced up using a good mic preamp is likely gonna sound better, but the v-amp is fine for doing quick demos. remember, some of the leads on the latest nevermore record were actually done using a pod xt!
i don't have a vamp, but a pod, and seeing how the vamp basically is behringers line6 ripoff, i'd suggest the jcm800 or modern highgain (iirc there's something like that in the vamp) models. experiment with different cab simulations. i'll say it again, you should really try to get the best possible tone without any sort of outboard processing...you can't polish a turd in the first place, remember. seing how you have a boss ds1 distortion rather than the sd1 overdrive, i recommend you stay away from that one....it's not gonna work well as a boost, and for primal fear kinda sounds it's not gonna cut it as a standalone unit providing all the gain.
what's your setup like? are you using the vamp directly into your pc or what?