help to buy my first mic

Sep 15, 2008
i´m gonna buy my first mic. i want it to record vocals (clean and screams vocals). my max. money is 300 euros (385 USD).
i thought in audio-technica but a friend told me to buy the rode nt-2. (he told me it´s great)

some recommendations?

thanks for your answer ParsonsMatt
SM7b costs 400 euros in thomann.
my max money is 300.

and, i want a mic to record vocals. but if could record more things with would be great too.

opinions please.

I would seriously consider saving the extra 100 needed to grab the sm7b dude.

SM7B is THE mic for vocals imo.

Lots of people are using it on guitar cabs, hi-hats, snares, kicks and floor toms too.

See if you can pick one up second hand on ebay. You wont regret it.

Most people here will probably go WTF but seriously the SM57 is a great mic for Vocals. Throw a pop filter on it and have at it! I have recorded numerous bands with it.

If you really are in the market save the extra $100 and buy the SM7B

+1.
Within that budget, for my first/only mic, personally, I'd take the SM57. You can use it on quite a few things and it's cheap.

For a second mic, then I'd get a vocal specific mic, or maybe a condenser mic for vocals/acoustic instruments/room mic'ing.

Just my 2 cents...

Most people here will probably go WTF but seriously the SM57 is a great mic for Vocals. Throw a pop filter on it and have at it! I have recorded numerous bands with it.

+1

Also, you can never have too many 57s.

Totally, I prefer the 57 to the 58 for vocals to be honest.

Would leave plenty money for other things and literally works on EVERYTHING.

+1
but you have to be careful, the 57 works great on some vocalists, but on others it sucks major ass.
But yeah its huge for cabs with v30 and snares :headbang:
Guess it depends if you want to spend all the 300 bucks or not.
If you want to get close to 300 the NT2 wouldnt be a bad choice I guess...
I use a PG 81 right now for the vocals, and I'm quite happy with it considerung it only costs around 120€...but I'd go for a arge ldiaphragm condenser if you want to get really good vocals anyway ;)

i think the AT4040 is in your price range, and it's certainly has all the.. tact, you'll need.. ;)

sorry, couldn't resist!

thanks,

The thing to watch out for is that in a shitty sounding room a condenser mic can actually sound worse than a dynamic due to it being more sensitive and picking up more reflections. This is more for smaller rooms though, in larger room's it's not so bad.