Here is a video of me playing Testament's Practice What You Preach on guitar

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Here is a video of me playing Testament's Practice What You Preach on guitar. Comments. advice? :)
[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=50178588[/ame]

Ok, here's the link, I'll use the word Derek/ before the actual link for you.

Derek/http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=50178588

The only thing I can say is to get a teacher to help you with your technique. At first I could kind of understand just using your index and ring finger for most of the rhythm because its how you feel like playing it but when I seen your thumb UNDER the neck when you was playing the solo I died a little inside. If you dont want a teacher then please just learn how to play with your thumb in the right place.

^I'm confused as to how me doing this with my thumb is a bad thing, please explain, and yes as I am self taught as you expected

Well, I have just tried to play like you would on my guitar and having your thumb on the bottom of the neck really restricts what you can do. The main thing is, it stops you from being able to do wide stretches properley (or any kind of stretch that goes further than a scale shape). If you had your thumb behind the neck where it should be then stretches would be much easier and more natural feeling. Another thing is bends and vibrato's have to be done with your fingers instead of your wrist and forearm when having your thumb in this position and (tbh I dont know why people say this) that is a really bad thing. Also, overtime when you want to start doing harder techniques like sweep picking then it will be 10x harder to learn than a normal player because of how restricted your hand is.

TO understand what I mean in an easier way, just take your hand now and cup your hand like you would when holding the neck. Now, put your thumb right next to your index finger like you would when you are playing further up the neck. Now try and spread your fingers and see how far you can get your little finger away from your index finger. Now, try spreading your fingers with your thumb in a position like it would be behind the neck and you will see your hand has a lot more freedom. Basically what I'm trying to say is putting your thumb behind the neck will make your hand "bigger" which will make playing a lot more comfortable.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice, and if anyone didn't get to see the video and wantsto see it PM me and I'll link you the video.
Or just go to my MySpace and look under my Videos and it will be there.