Here we go...UAD PREFLEX/NIGEL

Sep 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Alright so I know there are TONNSS of threads on bass. But nobody really gives advice on UAD preflex or Nigel for bass tones. Every time I see people asking for tips, everyone immediately copy and paste's Joey sturgis' post on it (years ago). Things have definitely changed since then. Does anybody have any tricks to share? This is what I do for bass with preflex.

I'll duplicate the bass track so that I have 2 bass tracks panned center. I insert preflex on both bass tracks and on one bass track I use the Gemini (for lows) and on the other bass track i use the bassmon (grit mids). Then I HP the low end track at 50, and LP is at 300. Then I HP the "grit" track at 300 and LP it at 6000. Then I send those 2 bass tracks to a bass bus and compress the piss out of it (sometimes limit). Then I insert Q10 and make many surgical cuts where the kick hits. Then I boost wherever I made cuts on the guitar tracks to fill up those mids around 800Hz and 4000KHz. Then I'll send the bass bus to a "Guitar & Bass bus" to glue the guitars and bass a little bit better.

I also have MaxxBass on the low end Gemini bass track.

Is this good? Do you have any tips to make this better? I'm also thinking about switching the tracks the other way around. Like the bassmon would be for bass and the Gemini would be for grit and mids (and I would add some distortion) because sometimes the Gemini lacks the type of low end I need. Thanks guys!!

As you said, there are tons of other threads about this. None of us have any idea what you're talking about if you don't post a clip. I don't personally see anything wrong with how you do your thing, are you looking for someone else's approval? Or would you like new ideas to try?